Thread: Vershina, Bastion of the North

Wip Vershina, Bastion of the North

This is a rough sketch of the fortress city of Vershina in my fantasy world Yerth.

It holds a vital spot in a gap in a mountain range. This fortress city guards the Border Kingdoms region from the regular winter assaults and raids of frost giants, barbarians, ice dragons, ettins, ogres and the other horrors of the Frozen North.

The city was build on the ruins of an ancient fortress of unknown origin. They later discovered the star fort layout of the walls was highly effective when considering the defending the wizards and siege weapons field of fire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vershina.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	67255

Ink and pencil on paper.
    Next version will be more ink on paper.
    Input welcome. Lemme have it - my feelings won't be hurt

I'm looking for advice on distinguishing elevation and slope of walls. Most star fort maps I see tend to be illustration types or technical maps which differentiate construction materials. I want to make something authentic-looking that also provides accurate information for gaming.

I've got no suggestions on going from plan view to perspective, but I do like what you've got started here!

looks interesting Striogi,

the fortification seems to be one of the 16th or 17 th century (or something near to that), where (in our Wolrd of course) the Forteresse was weaponed with efficient cannons and could cover quite a large area with this guns, so that the walls must be build this way. But of course it doesn´t mean, that your Fort couldn´t be much "older". I´m looking forward for more and to see how the good ones will be protected from the bad ones from the north.