Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dun-Anowen concept sketch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dun-Anowen concept sketch

Just messing with a concept of a castle / town concept. This is more of doodle atm, lot of stuff not really worked out, but generally the concept is of lake side/ river castle location with a fortified town. I'll post up more as I work out the sketch more. I will focus on the castle structure first, then add to the town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dun-anowen.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	66766

Vellum

Looking good so far. And good to see you back.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

THW Thanks, good to be back, I tend to be like alot of others, I slip in and out of motivation

Small update here, added some to the riverfront dock area, lower bailey adds, shield concept added. I need to work on some of the back story on this but for the moment I'm just freehand doodling.

Name:	dun-anowen 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	66806

Vellum

Well I got a tad more done today while I was anchored to the house waiting on a call. I added in more to the river front, cordwood boardwalk, buildings which represent workshops, storage facilities and the largest one is the merchants guild hall. Partially worked out the coat of arms, bird will be red, lower quad black, upper quad of shield either white or gold. Still thinking about a motto. The area at the mouth of the river (upper left) is a couple of stone towers with a wooden boardwalk with either a chain or a sliding barricade to use as a defensive barrier if necessary, because in fantasy worlds the world is also a dangerous place. LOL In any case enjoy.

Name:	dun-anowen 3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	66814
    Last edited by Vellum; 08-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Anstett glad you like it!

Tried a couple of new techniques (to me), the use of some micron colored pens on the borders, water and land areas. Some things I like others I don't. I'm all over the place on this one LOL.

Name:	dun-anowen 4.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	66851

Vellum

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's looking really good. I especially like the little island with the tower on it.

Thanks Diamond. I was thinking that the island tower might become a dungeon / prison tower LOL. A mini devils island so to speak.

This is looking really good. I really like your hand-drawing style, especially the details like borders and compass rose. I get the sense, from the way the town barely fits on the page, that you don't plan it out carefully in advance, which is something else I like.

I don't really have any suggestions to make, at this stage. I assume you'll be adding some finishing touches, like roof tiles, trees, grass texture etc. Looking at your maps, I think I can see the influence of Larb's work, and there are few better cartographers I can think of (that is meant to be acompliment to both you, and Larb ).

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast