Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Map for WIP book(s) - take one...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The general layout and the colors look great. I guess the thing I'm not sold on is the 'swirls' effect. The perspective is off compared to the mountains and it makes the whole map look a little skewed to me. I feel like I'm looking straight down on those areas compared to the iso/three-quarters view of the rest of the map.

I've been struggling with that very issue for quite some time. Once I got into all the land shading, I felt so compelled to keep going with it that the awkward perspective shift was just dismissed in hopes that it would somehow just "come together"... I feel like that's not gonna happen...
    Here's a capture of it without all the ground shading so it doesn't have so much of a drastic perspective shift.
    I'll try to work up from this point with other terrain elements (plains, forests, etc...)

And before I forget, thank you for the input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worldmap-flat.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	552.9 KB 
ID:	66856  

Very cool. Now that you have all the detail in there the spirals and the shading give it the impression of an old dried up lava flow. You've got a ton of detail in there, now it's making me wonder about the history.

Are you going to add cities/towns on the map or are you going to do little cut aways from the bigger map for more detail (not really sure of the scale of the continent, I'm assuming it's big)? I'm mostly just wondering if your going to indicate population centers with little dots or little drawn buildings or what, because I think the map is lending itself to more detail oriented indicators, like little monuments, buildings, etc.

Oops, didn't see page two and the new map you loaded up there. Comment still stands, except for the swirls. I will say without them it will be easier to place roads, cities, towns, and special places on the map- that is if you were planning on doing that.

gtwucla, thanks for comments, and I do intend on putting cities in there. In that regard, I do agree that the more detail I added to the ground the more it was going to hinder placement of roads, cities, etc...having that much on the ground was probably going to start looking very messy. Having spent as much time as I did putting it in, I was probably a bit biased towards finding ways to rationalize keeping it in the mix. These things happen I suppose...
    The history of this continent, which is the main continent in my story, is oddly long...the history of the planet, in fact, is long. When coming up with all the hows and whys for the world, I kept finding myself going, "Okay, but how did it get that way?" and by the time I stopped myself from asking that any more times, the history of the planet was back tracked all the way to a point when the world was in a different solar system...which is probably a bit more than is logical or necessary, but that's just how my brain works I guess...

First attempt at putting in two of the kingdoms for this continent, tried to blend them into the world as best I could.
    Two versions of the map, one with the over-done ground shading, and one with a flatter design...
    Comments, criticisms, threats, etc...if ya got 2 cents, feel free to throw it my way...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-2cities-tex.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	554.9 KB 
ID:	66939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-2cities-flat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	549.4 KB 
ID:	66938  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12