Thread: Sonata

Map Sonata

I was trying to experiment with some things in this one. What do you think? 😁
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sonata.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	5.50 MB 
ID:	115696  

I like the linework on the forests, cliffs and clouds, but they don't look very consistent with the other elements (especially the towns/buildings). Also, the shadows on the clouds and hills are facing the opposite direction from the shadows on the trees. Lastly, I don't think you need the clouds to go all the way to the edge of the canvas. You could show them where they encircle the island, and then it fades to nothing as it draws closer to the edge.

Just some of my thoughts.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the reply! I actually have a reason why the clouds are all the way, as well as the reason some of the elements aren't as consistent as they should be.

This map was made by having a Chinese fairy tale mindset. More often than not, the maps in these fairy tales only have some elements altogether, showing some points of interest in the maps. Also, the clouds are like that because it's like when you look from the sky and the clouds open, to reveal that region only (just like in many animations). I just wanted to experiment with all these thoughts and so Sonata was born XD.

I like the clouds. The hills look to be coming out of the plane of the map to me, like the shadows are from the hill symbols arching above the background rather than being actual shaded hills. This may be partly because of the lack of consistent shadows in general, but I think it is also the way that they are shaded.

The cliffs around the island are also really well done. The sea is good, too. The outer elements all work together nicely. Other than the oddity with the hills, I don't think that any of the interior elements are bad in themselves (except the roads), but they don't match each other very well. You have detailed buildings, stone circle, and a couple of special trees, but most of the trees are sketchy and the hills are just inky curves plus a shadow in a completely different style from, say, the forests. The roads look casually drawn on with a pen, while the water features seem flat and top-down, whereas most of the map is clearly from an elevated angle. There's definite room for improvement here by harmonizing the elements, moving to a consistent style. Even the "pop up" look to the hills could result in a nifty map if it were carried through to the other elements.

Thanks for your input! I also noticed that some things seem a bit off (mostly about the roads) and some hills that I'd like to imrpove. Perhaps as you suggested, I should make things more consistent and improve the overhaul look in that way. Even though I uploaded today, it's one of the oldest maps I've made. Perhaps a V2 should be done in the near future.