Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Some fractal terrain questions

Default Some fractal terrain questions

Hello I will use this thread to post some questions on FT if someone can help me understand this tool better.
    Lol solved all questions for now ...
    Last edited by Naima; 07-16-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Whats the maxand recomended size to import a map of earth or similar into fractal terrains?

FT can work internally with an editing resolution of up to 8190 samples. It can alternatively work with an external binary file of up to about 1GB as the source of the terrain altitude (that's about 30000x15000 for a 16-bit data element). FT doesn't need to load the entire planet at once. It's possible to load a smaller area as a height field and just work with that (for example, a local GTOPO30 section or a USGS DEM). The biggest limitation is that FT is a 32-bit program and wants to keep everything mapped into memory. On a 64-bit OS, it should be able to get almost 4GB of workspace for everything (program code, housekeeping data, editing data, undo space, binary files mapped into memory, and so on); for a 32-bit OS version, everything would need to get crammed into 2GB of space. Back in 1999 when FT was being developed, 2GB was a huge amount of space; it's a bit less so these 15 years on...

I have 32 gb and OS 64 bit .

Not sure wich version I have installed? I just pressed exe from the file I got ...

However I was skipping for whole day throguht countless world shapes , and I find a lot that I liked , but I didn't like some areas that didn't have a real matching "tectonic" idea ...not sure if is clear what Imean ... I mean the planet looked nice but mostly more like an alien planetary surface than anything that used to see tectonic clusterings.

Anyway I was wondering if I can cut and paste pieces of continents I like and paste into another generated one and procede so somehow by copy cutting pieces here and there ...

also if there is a better way to have rugged surface countoruns , when I go in by 3x zoom on an area lets say as big as mediterranean , I can't get very precise hand editing and I get smooth coasts and not rugged ones or else ...

is there a way to increase to max resolution of the map so that I can edit in better?

also is there a system for smooth areas, or paint in a terrain area of a precise height? Lets say I want to make a whoe large plain of 1 m on sea level ?
    Last edited by Naima; 07-17-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Another question is

I am trying to export the map I generated and in png file 16 bit 8192x proportional height but I always get error saving terrain etc ... ideas?

Yet another question is that somehow I am finding enormous difficulties to make the tools do what they should , for example the smooth doesn't smooth and instead rises huge blobs of terrain , the rough sometimes lowers some other times rises terrain but doesn't create proper roughtness ...

so inthe regions I rised from sea I susually have a more blobby look how can I do to give the proper rough shape of rest of the territories as well as give the same contnental platform surrounding?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Yet another question is that somehow I am finding enormous difficulties to make the tools do what they should , for example the smooth doesn't smooth and instead rises huge blobs of terrain , the rough sometimes lowers some other times rises terrain but doesn't create proper roughtness ...

so inthe regions I rised from sea I susually have a more blobby look how can I do to give the proper rough shape of rest of the territories as well as give the same contnental platform surrounding?
    I'm guessing that you started from a flat world. A flat world is one where the roughness starts out at 0. Increasing the roughness simply reveals the underlying world. For a good intro to using FT, I really do recommend looking at Tutorial for Cartographer’s Guild to get some pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post

If the export is failing, it's likely that you're running up against some of FT's limits. The full FT version can be found by holding down the Shift key when doing Help>>About. The /LARGEADDRESSAWARE link flag to allow 4GB for the 32-bit version was added around 3.0.12. Make sure that you've downloaded the most recent update from ProFantasy's web site.

I just downloaded yesterday it and there isonly one version the version Ihave here is 3.0.12.0 FT3

I tried already both tutorials , the one in wilbur and the basic one for make world but my issue is I Can't edit the heightmaps in Photoshop and get them back in ...

also some tools do not seem to work well or perhaps not sure if I use them wirght because i can'tfind more tutorials apart the ones you already pointed me to and they do not help on do what I want to do .

For example if I get a world I am not satisfied with 100% and I want to add another continent I 'd like to save that map heightmap and then load a new generated world , pick a continent shape I like , export that heightmap , get both heioghtmaps in photoshop and combine as I want ... then rebring those into ft3 and apply some more effects ...

Would be cool to have some erosive filters just like the ones in world machine or a mod macro creation .

Any ideas on how I can import export normal bmps heightmaps?and bringthem back innormally ? I have to pass all time by Wilbur?
    Because that tool as well when I reexport seems corrupted when I reimport in FT3 as shows only a gray image .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	903.7 KB 
ID:	65807

Here are some of the issues I have talked above

the strange artefacts all overe the terrain that I can't get rid of throught smoothing offset or roughness and don't see other smooth options

then the strage smoothed areas I get when I rise and lower terrain instead of retaining some of the detail roughness base from the terrain it smooths creating those strange hardlines borders ...

also Dunno how to get rid of those crest lines ridges , I tried even deterracing with no results,

the rise roughness or smooth roughness buttons seems to not work , actually the second rises the mountains .

And here the strange circles of artefacts all over the map .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	65808

If Iremove the Wilbur ridged multifractal those circles disappear , but the terrain completely changes , still is the function that I like ... is not possible to remove those circles in any way ?
    Last edited by Naima; 07-17-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast