Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Map

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Really nice fade in from the mountains to the plains. Did you use the smudge or blur tool manually, or did you create a path and have the stroke to blur/smudge or something else?
    something else. Before I made the mountains (with the GIMP filter Bump Map) I copied the land layer and hid it just in case something went wrong (it occassionally does with bump map, sometimes it makes it look the opposite of what it shows you in the bump map preview, other times it adds different squiggly lines or little insets and such onto other spots of the same layer). After I bump mapped it, it had added a bunch of squiggly lines and such onto the rest of the land, and so I unhid the flat land layer, moved it above the land layer with mountains, then I fuzzy selected the height map I had used to bump map the mountains, expanded it a bit and made it blend more (by using Select: Feather). Then I erased everything inside the fuzzy selected area on the flat land layer (and also had to expand it and feather it a couple more times) and it ended up blending quite well

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    OKay I lightened up some areas and the mountains
    Much better, in my opinion, now we can really enjoy the detail.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    something else. Before I made the mountains (with the GIMP filter Bump Map) I copied the land layer and hid it just in case something went wrong (it occassionally does with bump map, sometimes it makes it look the opposite of what it shows you in the bump map preview, other times it adds different squiggly lines or little insets and such onto other spots of the same layer). After I bump mapped it, it had added a bunch of squiggly lines and such onto the rest of the land, and so I unhid the flat land layer, moved it above the land layer with mountains, then I fuzzy selected the height map I had used to bump map the mountains, expanded it a bit and made it blend more (by using Select: Feather). Then I erased everything inside the fuzzy selected area on the flat land layer (and also had to expand it and feather it a couple more times) and it ended up blending quite well

Hmmm if you have time and would not mind, could you post up a few screenshots and the text as you progress. I am really interested in how you are doing this. I have not had time to play lately, but was doing bluring by hand, and that was a huge pain in the ass with lot's of mountains. I know I can do the selection to path and stroke with the blur tool, I just have not had time to sit down and do it with a good example, so have not perfected the technique yet. So anything else I could do would be great to add to my toolbox.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hmmm if you have time and would not mind, could you post up a few screenshots and the text as you progress. I am really interested in how you are doing this. I have not had time to play lately, but was doing bluring by hand, and that was a huge pain in the ass with lot's of mountains. I know I can do the selection to path and stroke with the blur tool, I just have not had time to sit down and do it with a good example, so have not perfected the technique yet. So anything else I could do would be great to add to my toolbox.
    Okay sure, Ill sometime (uh, probably tomorrow or the next day) post how I did it (I may put it in Tutorials) with lots of pictures

@Steel General --> Thanks I agree it does look much better lightened up

heres a link to a thread i made for Making Mountains in GIMP frazier:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...0379#post30379

how I blended the land and mountains is #7 in the document (or is it #8? I cant remember if I even put in 8 steps.... )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12