Thread: Critiques on my fantasy map?

Default Critiques on my fantasy map?

Hi! This is my first post here, though I've been sniffing around for a while. Following this tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...-tutorial.html) and making a few changes, this map is what I came up with!

Does anyone have any critiques / criticisms? I tried to make sure that my mountains and rivers seem natural, but it's hard to tell. Any comments would be appreciated greatly!

Here is a link to the bigger version of it: http://i.imgur.com/PMdOg54.jpg

Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bfinal4small.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	66815  

Looks pretty nice to me. One point (personal preference only) is the north and south river/lake setup on the east side of the bottom land mass feel a bit straight-ish to me. But I'm no river guru, so it's not like I can fault it as being wrong. Aside from that, I generally like the overall layout and design.

Guild Novice

Looks really good. Like the way the mountains stand out.

Hey Turtle

I have some suggestions. Your river/lake placement is a good start but it doesn't quite make sense. Rivers are formed on the side of mountains which receive rain, and the rivers flow downhill (obviously) and pool into a lake if they reach a basin (a large flat area surrounded by higher land). That's the only time a lake forms. Sometimes, the water in the lake finds another way out and another river is formed, which may eventually make its way to the sea. From what I can tell, your map only has mountains and flat land. I can't really distinguish gentle rises, hills, valleys, etc. You need to know that stuff to know where a river will flow. A river also never forks. They converge, but they never split (or if they do it's only during times of severe flooding).

How big is the landmass? How big is the planet relative to earth? Where is the equator and where are your longitudal tropics (cancer and capricorn)? These determine where pressure systems live depending on the season, and this affects trade winds, ocean currents, temperature, precipitation, and climates. Judging by the presence of the desert on your south-east coast, I'm going to guess that your tropic of cancer cuts through the bottom of your landmass, since deserts almost always form on one of those two tropic lines. This means the ocean will most likely carry warm water from the equator, which will probably make your east coast a lot more lush. A desert is more likely to go toward the western end of a large mass of land.

Hope these starting points help.