Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Campaign World: WIP

Wip Personal Campaign World: WIP

Hey all. This is my first actual post of anything I have worked on extensively. To those that saw my introduction thread you might recognize the layout of the landmass on this map, as well as the Mountain Technique which I'm still perfecting. Most of the map is properly credited to inspiration from Talented map makers on this site, and also extremely helpful tutorials that gave me insight to how to better use Photoshop.

Regards,
    Aksel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternate Earth Draft 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	66859

P.S. Pardon the side of the file, but to get the fine details I had to go big. I'm sure that goes without saying, but hey it never hurts to be polite about it.
    Last edited by Axlleaf; 09-06-2014 at 01:35 AM.

I like the hatching idea a lot. but for some reason it still reads weird to me. I think it's the fact that it flows over intercedeing mountain lines where there should be some paralax or "perspective" happening. It probably won't be noticeable once there's more stuff on the map though so it's only a minor thing.

It's a great start. I like the mountains.

The cross hatch along the shore, gives it a dropshadow look, Maybe a blue color, either lighter or darker than the blue of the water.

Thanks for the input Falconius. I actually agree with you, the hatching is standing out a little strange. It looks good from a distance but up close it loses its appeal. I am going to flesh out the land first with vegetation and towns, color, etc. see how it turns out. Push comes to shove if I need to I will just save it with the hatching, and then try out another technique. I think my main problem stems with the fact that I tried to shade before everything was done.

@TimPaul. Thanks for the compliment. To be honest I was inspired by -Max-'s front page map. I loved the accent lines so I wanted to try my own twist on it, but I have to give credit where it is due. Glad you like the way it turned out.

Thank you both for the input.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That cross-hatching is a brilliant idea! I love the look of it. The thing bothering me is that large areas of your rivers and coast look pixellated and jagged - or is this just do to the large resolution you posted at? Maybe the final image is meant to be zoomed out a bit?

Looks like an awesome beginning though.

@ Diamond

Hmm, you make a good point, I haven't really been paying much attention to it but I should have been, thanks for bringing it up. I did increase the image size to get finer details. I just need to refine the edges again.

Any tips on how to do that without having to start over fully?

Maybe tone down the shore line? In the end, you have to stick with what makes you happy, over everyone's suggestions.

@ Timpaul

When you say Shoreline, do you mean the contour lines, or the accent lines that create the drop shadow effect?

Wip Update

Ok, hopefully folks can see what I have done a bit. Sorry for the lack of an update lately. Been busy with a lot of stuff. Anyways, I reworked the coastline, the rivers, as well as the coastal accent to make it a bit more subtle. I have finished the mountains, and am now also working on the "Hatching" idea. I know it might look a little odd right now as the hatching shadows are still unfinished. I plan on having some crossing lines to deepen the shadows a little. I also plan on adding some more color to the continent to make it look like faded ink. Any input would be great or just to see what the experts think about the rework of what was mentioned before. I'm more happy with this result so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	67148 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	67223
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	67192  
    Last edited by Axlleaf; 09-09-2014 at 05:45 PM.

That's very promising! The shadow work is really improving those original mountains (imho).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast