Thread: August/September 2014 Lite Challenge: Fractlandia

Default August/September 2014 Lite Challenge: Fractlandia

It's been a very long time since I've attempted one of these challenges, but I thought I might give this one a short. Given that Waldronate has already done Wilburia, and that I intended to do something similar, I tweaked the process a bit so that I could present Fractlandia. Just to give things a slightly different look, I rotated the blobs a bit, worked out some rough continental shelves and deep seas. So long as things don't get crazy at work, I hope to spend a bit of time each evening working on this. One thing I realized is that I will have to re-work the deep oceans a bit so that they take up a bit more space, but that should be a fairly simple fix. I'd like to work the shelves a bit better, but with the focus of the map being on the blobs, I'm not super concerned with the continental shelves.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fractlandia - WIP 08-24-14a.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	66877  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

It would seem, much to the surprise of both the inhabitants and official cartographer of Fractlandia, that the world upon which Fractlandia resided, and the very star system, itself, have long been scheduled for demolition to make way for an interstellar bypass. Fortunately, most of the inhabitants, including the official cartographer, were given just enough notice to relocate to suitably habitable planet in a nearby system. A little terraforming, paid for out of the galactic relocation fund, allowed for the development of familiar, if not slightly re-oriented, lands on a much larger scale than the inhabitants of Fractlandia were previously accustomed to.

Yes, I've been reading Douglas Adams lately. Sue me.

That being said, my original plan for this map wasn't quite working out. It was mostly a matter of scale and the limitations of what I could do with FTPro in terms of exporting images. We'll still call it Fractlandia unless I come up with a better name. And, hopefully, I will have a new WIP to put up in the next day or two. Working on getting things set up for a number of rendering processes that I will eventually bring together in a single image. If that doesn't work out as well as I hope, I will probably have to bow out of this challenge as gracefully as I can.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Since I haven't had any time to work on this, let's go ahead and tag this entry as Officially Withdrawn. It really burns me that I have to do this, but work has been exceptionally distracting these last couple of weeks between the 12 hour days and a number of issues at other locations. On a positive note, however, what little initial work I did for this map has helped me refine a technique I'd been struggling with, and should prove beneficial for a rather large project I hope to be starting on in the near future.

GW
    GW