Thread: Gimp Tutorial - Making a Grass Texture (or something else you'd like)

Tutorial Gimp Tutorial - Making a Grass Texture (or something else you'd like)

I searched the forums and could not find one quickly. I am completely new to cartographer's guild so maybe I didn't look enough or maybe it doesn't exist. I tend to be terse, and if that style irks the reader I apologize in advance.

This is also my first tutorial on this thread.

Either way, here's what I came up with.

It uses a texture I got from Mapping elements thread from other threads. The specific texture I used I have attached, but where I got the texture I will also link here.

Basically, have three layers.

• 1)On the Top layer, insert the texture layer.
      • Desaturate the texture
      • Set the layer mode to overlay
      • I haven't done it personally but if you wanna play around, making a bump map of it may be interesting, but isn't done for the example that was attached.
    • 2) Grass color layer is the bottom layer.
      • Gaussian blur is your friend.
      • I used 069500 (HTML notation) as my base layer. Pick this color and fill the layer with it.
      • Added darker green and little bits of yellow and light green. Use a paintbrush, hardness 100, then gaussian blur. It's like magic, seriously.
      • Attached my grass layer as well.
    • 3) Light layer. Playing around with this layer will alter the mood of the texture.
      • For a more darker mood, or maybe to emulate dim light conditions, fill this layer with black, choose darken only layer mode, and play with opacity until desired levels achieved.
      • for a lighter mood, or maybe emulate bright light conditions, fill this layer with white, choose lighten only layer mode, and play with opacity until desired levels achieved.

After that, you can make it seamless (Filters-> Map -> Make Seamless) and copy paste until it fills the canvas as large as you'd like. Then you just finaggle the edges a little bit with the stamp/clone/fix tool and you're good to go.

You can apply these concepts to create other combinations. For example, if you find a better texture you can easily replace the top layer and give it a different look. Change the color to make it look like stone/sand/snow/ice.

Again, first tutorial. Please leave feedback. Thank you.

-Hahamiso.

roll20: SleepyKitty (Currently in no games, so if you want an experienced player, co-dm, or want to teach me map-making for your campaign, send me a message here or roll20)

New Twitch Stream ID: SolarLiberation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grass Example.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	94923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18_vereistewasseroberflaeche_512.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	94921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grass1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	448.4 KB 
ID:	94922