Thread: August/September 2014 Lite Challenge:<Chasm Cavern>

Wip August/September 2014 Lite Challenge: Ualtun

### Latest WIP ###

Quick and dirty preliminary sketch I did this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to finish in time with the late start. Originally I thought to have a deep chasm in a cave network, but drawing I started to think of possibly other environments (jungle w/ large river, grand canyon-esque) we will see.

Just pencil on paper, and I don't have a scanner at home, so I took a photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	66931
    Last edited by Cuin; 09-03-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Changed idea for map I thought I should change the title
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

You still have a fair piece of time. The lite contest runs from middle of the month to middle of the next month. Looks interesting so far.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

### Latest WIP ###

Totally scrapped the previous idea. Just couldn't get perspective. I went to regional map style and used woods/water/mountain to represent different blobs. I made a number of mistakes, but this is ink so there is no changing it. I still appreciate comments though. I have been working on calligraphy skills for the past couple months (thus no map posts) and it is starting to pay off, although still much room to improve. Some of the town labels might be hard to read, but that is the look and the map is small.

As far as style goes the border looked the right size in pencil, but when I inked it I thought it too big. I would at least half it next time. I experimented with a new style of mountains for me and am happy with how they turned out. I even put some glaciers in there. I am dying the paper right now and can post another WIP when that is done. If my schedule permits, I have in mind to add color and use it to convey bathimetry and elevation. I am surprised with my satisfaction of the marginalia. I'm not much of a figure artist, but I like it. I even kind of like the Dr. Seuss-esque facial expression. She represents a deity of the region -- a care giver and protector.

Name:	20140902_212445.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	67091
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------

When I am done I'll scan it and post it at higher resolution. Just taking pictures with my phone for WIPs
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------

### Latest WIP ###

I think this will be the finished version. I wish I had scanned it while b&w, I'm not sure the color was improvement. Critique?

Name:	Ualtun.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	67295
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------

I'm not sure about the colour either :/
    In some ways, it improves the contrast but I liked the mountains plain as they were in your last scan.

I love the person in the corner, and the border

No rivers, or is it too late (or not suitable)?

I love the person in the corner, and the border
    Thanks!

Yes, I think you are right about adding rivers, that would tie things together a bit more. Thanks for the tip! I don't know if I'll be able to get that in time...

Looking at it again now, I think I might also continue the brown color around the rest of the map. It was supposed to show elevation, but it just looks like a splotch. If I fill in the color the mountains will look a little more like they did in B&W.
    Last edited by Cuin; 09-14-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add quote
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------