Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back to Moonfall

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip

Okay, last update for the coming week as I won't have access to PS after tomorrow.

From now on it's almost exclusively details, details, details...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonfall Revision Step 4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	67208

I think I'll give the cliffs of the central rift a fuller, darker reddish-brown coloration once I'm back at my own PC. I think it'll be good to highlight that geographical feature a bit more. Another thing I'll have to redo, probably in full, is the large central dune in the red desert region. The outlines are too light to make them out from any larger distance, and they look all garbled from closer since I made them by playing Dr. Frankenstein on a number of Dune brushes, meaning most outlines will be waaayyy to thick anyways.

In the meantime, do you guys have any suggestions, ideas and/or tips on what I could do better/different and how?

I've noticed all the terrains seem to be blended nicely into one another, except for the mountains. Was this a deliberate choice? It looks visually jarring to me.

I like the idea of the rift/lake thingy running diagonally across the bottom of the map, it looks interesting when veiwing the map as a whole. And those marsh/swampy things in the middle are fantastic, I love the effect you have going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I've noticed all the terrains seem to be blended nicely into one another, except for the mountains. Was this a deliberate choice? It looks visually jarring to me.

I like the idea of the rift/lake thingy running diagonally across the bottom of the map, it looks interesting when veiwing the map as a whole. And those marsh/swampy things in the middle are fantastic, I love the effect you have going on there.
    Thanks! Glad you like it. For the swamps/marshlands in the center I came across a set of brushes that were intended to draw ice cracks on polar regions. Turns out they really work well for canals and cracked, dry ground, too.

The mountains aren't done yet, that's why they still stick out. They were the first things I blocked the colors into (leaving aside the oceans), and while I've given them the slightest of reddish hues (as was my intention) I haven't done the fine-tuning yet. I hope that by deleting the blotches around the actual mountains I'll gain a bit of space to use for blend layer between them and the surrounding territory.

Okay, the geographical features should be finished now. I worked on the mountains and gave them an additional blending layer. Now I'll have to work on the details of the setting itself.

The file is too large to reference lcoally.

Click here for full size (1/2 of actual resolution).

Last edited by Wired; 09-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.

That header o.o

Also you might wanna try to blend in the mountain's colours to the surrounding terrain's.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhel View Post
    That header o.o

Also you might wanna try to blend in the mountain's colours to the surrounding terrain's.
    I tried. Didn't turn out to be that nice, though. *shrugs*

Okay, update. This should be the final state of the map without any of the man-made elements of the setting added.

I changed the coloration of the mountains, added snowy peaks and tweaked the ice layer, added steppe markers and placed a sand texture over the desert regions. Clouds above the southern ocean signify the region-locked perpetual storm pattern there; can't say they are the way I wish they were, but they suffice for now.

Name:	moonfall_base_map___no_details_small_by_stratomunchkin-d81yp21.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	68190

Edit: After the upload I deleted the cloud layer (it was a cloud texture) with a hand-drawn cloud layer using several different brushes. Looks more, well, map-ish now.
    Last edited by Wired; 10-08-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I've begun working on the more story/setting-related parts of the map. The start is made by The Hive, named that way due to the optical resemblance of its shattered dome to a bee hive. As space is a scarce commodity the inhabitants of the city have begun to build their houses ever more higher along the outer walls and the dome's inside, up to the point where they hang from the ceiling. The better situated citizens live on the ground in proper houses. The Hive is an important commercial nexus between the southern lands and the more developed north, and the destiny of most desert caravans.

Sadly enough that's the best I can do at my skill level at the moment... :/

Edit: shown here isn't the actual location, and the illustration on the map is at best a fifth of the size.

Name:	the_hive_illustration_by_stratomunchkin-d8272z0.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	68259

I added some map borders and decorations as well as a slew of custom map locations. On to the placing of regular map symbols and labelling the whole thing!

Name:	moonfall_upload_5_by_stratomunchkin-d82yah8.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	68381

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast