Thread: Tablet Advice? Please... :D

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Question Tablet Advice? Please... :D

My little Genius Tablet went KAPOOT!! As it is, I'm in the market for a new tablet... specifically a Wacom tablet.... I know this is the brand I want to buy, and though (I believe it was...) Arcana's nice a$$1000 tablet he uses at work would be Splen-dad! ... I am only able to spend somewhere in the regin of 250-450 ....

Which Wacom tablet would you suggest ? Anyone who has a model, please let me know your opinions on it....

Thanks all

Del

I've successfully used the Intuos2 6"x8" model for a while now ( http://www.wacom.com/intuos/ but it seems that they're at Intuos3 these days). You get position, pressure, tilt, point, eraser, and two side buttons on the default pen. Looks like Wacom has a fancy 6D pen ( http://www.wacom.com/art_pen/index.cfm ) that does rotation as well for the newer Intuos3 line of tablets.

The tablet runs around $330. I prefer the 6x8 because it will fit on one arm while I draw with the other. I don't run strokes that go off the edge of the tablet drawing area and I don't use it for tracing so I'm not sure that a bigger one would help me anyhow.

Ooooo... They have a wireless Graphire tablet available... I shouldn't look at new hardware. It's not good for me or my budget. Fortunately it doesn't have tilt so I'm safe!
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.

I use a wacaom Intuos3 6x8 and recommend it. I would stay away from the graphire though, which I also have.

There is a whole thread devoted to the tablet discussion here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=552

As it mentions I ended up getting a Intuos3 6x11 Special Edition which can be found here:

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/6x11.cfm

I'm very happy with it in every way. Even for its size it is light weight and the full assortment of pens and included mouse and extra nibs has been a great money saver. I wanted a larger drawing area because it feels more comfortable to me. It is actually the same size as my laptop so it slides right in next to it when I travel and since it includes a mouse I don't need to use up an additional USB port since the mouse works on the tablet itself.

Oh, and the other reason for the 6x11 is that it perfectly mirrors to the widescreen monitors aspect ratio.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I have a Bamboo Fun Med one that I got for around $199 or so. It might be a bit to large, but it works. Man, I REALLY hope I did not get hosed by getting a 64 bit Windows machine the other day. Need to get install the software and make sure it works with my new machine.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

thanks for the tablet advice I think I may have settled on the Wacom Intuos3 9x12 .... now all I have to do is learn how to draw something