Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP]: A new RPG World

Actually it's possible to have a desert at the equator. It's rare but if the winds are in the right direction, it's possible as long as there is little rain. If mountains are blocking the winds like in South America and Central Asia. If it's too cold it becomes a cold desert.
    It may be possible (I've never heard of a 2000-mile long equatorial desert that stretches 20 degrees north and south of the equator) but I don't think his land allows it anyway. The equator is almost constantly the hottest place on a planet and the geography would have to be extraordinarily influential to stop it. His geography doesn't seem to merit such a difference.

I'm not sure why you say that he should move the equator. I agree that the western part is probably too dry (but since I don't have the info I can't tell exactly) but I think it's simpler to just change the climates for that area since the rest looks ok. Except fort the Laurentian climate...
    Since he has human locations marked on the map, I went with the assumption that he had done some cultural work on the world. In my experience, moving the equator south so that the climates make more sense has almost no influence on the cultural work he may have done up to this point, while changing a bunch of climates would mean that many civilisations would be subject to a redesign, since climate is such a huge influential factor in human development. I was only trying to suggest a change which would have required the least amount of work.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Hey guys, I decided to revisit this map, doing some changes and get back to the drawing board. It has been a while and somehow I was frustrated with the world, so I gave it some time. Since my commissioned work is done at the moment, I'll focus more on this. First changes here, I'm testing out some new shapes and will probably redo the entire coloring part. So, B/W for now for shapes.

Feel free to comment, I'm always happy to hear them =)
    (Also, climate stuff is kind of not up to date anymore in the west)

Cheers, Steffen

Edit: I kind of have the feeling the eastern lands balance the image out, but I kind of don't like it... :/
    Overall, the map looks very scattered. I'm torn, this world kind of close to my heart...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	72060
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 03-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

And here is another idea (I kind of like more; not perfect IMO but better):

Name:	wip2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	72072

Also another questions to rivers:
    - More like this in the south as a style?
    - Or more like blue lines on top of the land?
    Love to hear your opinion on that! =)
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 03-26-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I think I got it now, fixed some areas and re-did the mountains roughly. Also indicated some locations of the biggest cities in this world. Tectonic activity and shapes is something I'm only mediocre at, so if you find some critical error, please let me know. =)

Name:	wip3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	869.0 KB 
ID:	72082
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I finished the biggest rivers (and sure hope River Police doesn't catch me ) and think the shapes are final. This step actually was a lot of work. Unsure what to do next, but hyped I got this far. I'm actually quite happy the longer I look at the map =)

Name:	wip4.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	72102
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    I finished the biggest rivers (and sure hope River Police doesn't catch me ) and think the shapes are final. This step actually was a lot of work. Unsure what to do next, but hyped I got this far. I'm actually quite happy the longer I look at the map =)

Name:	wip4.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	72102
    The style is interesting.
    Are you adding colours, forests or other details ?

Thanks =) Yes, at least I plan to do so. Not sure about the style I'll finally go for, but I'm testing out a few things.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Glad to see you work on this again. Quite interesting view. Is it a polar projection?

Don't be confused by the circles, it is a miller cylindrical projection. I think it is the easiest to use in Pen-&-Paper-RPGs =)

However, it is not a depiction of the whole planet obviously.
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 03-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

What's the purpose of the circles then? I'm curious

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast