Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP]: A new RPG World

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

The circle will be a very slim compass in the end, at least this is the plan. I don't wand to disturb the image by putting in a large junk of a compass (even worse when darkened out) and give the feeling that there is some more land, with this I don't disturb the first recognition what is land and what isn't. At least in theory, don't know how it turns out Also, a mayor reason was that the continents seem very shattered and this helps to create the feeling of stability and togetherness. It will also be the main part of the world planned out to be played at.

You see, I had a few reasons for this, but since this is far from being final some things and considerations could change.

Cheers, Steffen =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Inspired by the mars cloud texture (below) I tried and used a new technique to create some water depth. Sadly, the texture doesn't work forme, but I can create something similar from scratch. Not sure if this is the right way, but it's interesting and memorable. Testing is fun =)

Own quickly created stuff (partly):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip5p.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	72190

The mars cloud texture I found here:

Name:	MarsCloud1.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	72191
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Since I enlarged the continents and redesigned some elements, I recently added the new climatic conditions and I'd ask your advice if I made an error somewhere. I hatched the areas I'm not completely sure. I really need some more opinions on this, this is the first complete world I created on my own in which this stuff should be correct. Thanks in advance for your help! =)

I upped 3.000x2.200px, should be enough:

Name:	Climate_Weltkarte.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	72545

Thanks for everything so far!
    Cheers, Steffen =)
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 04-08-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Banned User

That looks pretty good! If you use the Earth model for what happens at various latitudes, you should be pretty good in general.

The only things I notice that seem a little odd are that you have "hot desert" adjacent to "cold desert", "cold desert" extending into latitudes that should not be cold, and "..desert" adjacent to "rainforest".

I think you need to put some transitions between dry and wet areas and between hot and cold areas. For example, from desert to plains to temperate forests (east-west), and from cold to temperate to tropical to hot (north-south).

I love the colors and land shapes! I can't wait to see how this develops!!

Thanks chick, helpful as always =) Yes, I oriented the latitudes on the earth model, makes it easiest to intuitively understand.
    I fixed the small area in the middle you mentioned, missed this spot. Feel free to draw in the map if you find anything else!

Name:	Climate2_Weltkarte.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	72548

Cheers, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Attachment 72558

I made some suggestions on the map:

yellow is for Mediterranean
    Green is for temperate humid (not a particular climate)
    white is for ice caps
    orange is hot steppe
    pink is for cold steppe
    red is hot desert
    blue is a tropical humid forest
    Place without colours seems fine to me, except in the south

On tundra: the tundra can apparently go very close to the pole but not very far inland at high latitude.
    I can't tell what the climates in the south should look like because I don't know what is surrounding the area. Is there a lot of land hidden outside the map?

I planned on having a larger land mass outside the picture in the south, however I have not done the form yet.
    Good point on the tundra, and thank you VERY much on coloring what you mean. I'll check it out =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

There are some coloured places that are still the same climate.

I noticed, thanks =) I changed a few things you pointed out, I thought about those areas once again and noticed a few things. This is actually - funny thing - even more like the climate areas I had in my mind and I kind of hoped it would turn out as I planned. It did, a wonderful feeling to see your planning work out so well. I upped the climate zones I have now and with which I will work from here now. It's getting serious now, and hopefully fun. It's just a huge map - 10,798 x 7,626 px (!) - and getting started in some way is the hardest part...

Name:	Climate4_Weltkarte.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	72579
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 04-09-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Hey you all! I recently studied basics about climate, winds and weather (mainly from here, but with additional other sources). This is the first time I'm doing this so there are probably some mistakes. I sketched in the largest / most important mountains, the climatic zones and the winds according to the infos I got from the link above. I'd be very happy if someone who understands more about this would check this for mistakes. Every input is really appreciated. =)

I made this for winter first, I guess the directions of the wind will change in summer. I also made the land/water gray so that you can read the infos easier.
    The intent to get this right honors you
    First things first - it is the atmospheric circulation that causes low and high pressures zones and not the other way round.
    That's why the very first thing to learn are basics of atmospheric circulation (AC).

The engine of the AC are not pressures but temperatures.
    Basically a planet heats too much at equator and the most efficient way to evacuate the heat is to transport it to the coldest place, e.g to the poles.
    This evacuation will happen in a succession of cells (3 on Earth) where each one will get the equatorial heat nearer to the poles.

Then the second important point is the Coriolis force. The Coriolis force is due to the planet's rotation and as it is a vectorial product, it deviates N/S travelling air to W or E.
    If we take the same rotation sense like for Earth then :
    In N hemisphere air travelling to N is deviated to East and travelling to S is deviated to West.
    In S hemisphere air travelling to N is deviated to West and travelling to S is deviated to East.
    This deviation is also responsible for anti clockwork rotation around low pressures and clock work around high pressures.
    Also this force is not constant, it is 0 at equator and maximum at pole. This means that winds in temperate régions will be dominantly eastelies or westerlies while near equator there is no privileged direction.

These 2 fundamental points above are totally independent of winter or summer so that you can define an AC for the whole planet regardless of season.
    This is an advantage because small scale climatic features (especially monsoons) have sometimes a seasonal variability - wet, hot air blows from ocean to continent in summer and dry cold air the other way in winter.
    Monsoons are not systematic and finding where would be some and where wouldn't is beyond the scope of this post.

In the joined picture I show how the AC works on your planet (assuming the same rotation as the Earth).
    On the right edge you have the schematic of the 3 cells - Hadley, Ferrel and polar.
    It would be the same for any imaginary planet. What could change is the number of cells because it depends on the size and rotation speed of the planet but the principle of polewards energy transport is valid everywhere.
    On the map I have shown the ground level circulation of each cell because this is what matters for the biomes.

Last I have sketched some biomes :
    - light green tropical forest
    - yellow hot dry desert
    - light blue very humid rainy temperate climate
    From these one can infer other intermediate biomes like bush, savannah, dry and humid temperate regions etc.

Name:	Atmospheric Circulation1.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	72625

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast