Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: [WIP]: A new RPG World

Wow, this last view looks awesome. Did you use a mix of satellite views to do it?
    I also really like the way you did the waters, though I'm a bit distracted by the lines in the north part of the world view.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@Eilathen: Thanks!
    @Ilanthar: Thank you, too! I used a blend of customized textures designed to fit in where I need them. I never (or better, very rarely) use textures out of the box as they come. The recognizability is just too big, making many maps look the same even though they are different; just because both used the same textures. It's the subtle details. =) As for the lines in the north, I see what you mean. Not sure if I keep it that visible there. I'm in the middle of making this. The land stuff ist just a clipping-mask of a sattellite view of the Lake Titicaca region. It's supposed to show what I aim to do, style-wise. But - of cause - not with existing pics, I'll make this all myself with drawing. =)

Cheers, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 06-09-2015 at 03:17 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I also re-did the book cover, the only thing that will change 100% is the illustration, since this isn't from me ((c)Donato Giancola) and just a placeholder with roughly the colors I will use. Also I recently purchased the fonts I need for the book. Kind of hyped

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Einband-Idee.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	73950

Quick Info: I'll probably edit out the pic in the future, I don't want to confuse researchers of the game later with a cover that isn't actually what they look for and therefore minimizing the recognizability.
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 06-09-2015 at 03:22 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Well, too bad this isn't the real cover...i really dig it. It oozes flavour! On the other hand, now i am extremely curious how the real cover will look like
    Will you be selfpublishing this or is Uhrwerk or Ulisses jumping in? Just curious
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Haven't talked about this to any company yet, but probably will. I want a strong grasp on which way this will go, if this is ok with them, yeah, why not.
    Thanks for your comment, Eilathen!

Figuring out some more color decisions and compass stuff. Baby steps here, but well... =)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webDinA2_Weltkarte.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	73955
    Visit me on ArtStation.

It's very cool watching this develop Steffen.
    I hope your are doing better with your back healing and all.

Thanks, J.Edward! =) It's getting better, but will take a while.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I like the color palette, but think the mountain ranges could use some work.

On my Hexingtide map, I've used multiple layers to build up my mountain ranges along with a base land texture. That way the mountains don't appear out of flat ground so abruptly.

That method might be something to consider.

@PokealypseNow: Thanks =) Yes, I'm fully aware of the mountains. On a page before I mentioned that the mountains were just placeholders I used to do the climate stuff. They will all be replaced with 'real' mountains. =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Nice map. Seriously.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast