Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotham City

Default Gotham City

This last year I have been attending many comic book conventions as a vendor, selling my artwork and self published comics. I have also been showing and selling some of my own cartographic artwork. I decided to combine my two passions, and make a comprehensive map of Gotham City. With this being Batman's 75th birthday, I figured this might be a good seller at comic conventions.

There have been several maps of Gotham City produced over the last couple of decades. The Batman universe has also been rebooted a couple times during that period. In the current run of the Batman comic, different maps have been used at different times. Maps done as supplemental material for the Nolan Batman movies have found their way into the comics, sometimes creating contradictions. Most comics readers would probably never notice such inconsistencies, but as a cartography aficionado they drive me nuts.

This has been one of my most challenging maps yet. I've done a ton of research to bridge the gap between the comics and the movies and make a more cohesive, inclusive map of Gotham.

Gotham was first mapped around 1998 by Eliot R. Brown, and the basic shape and form of Gotham has been pretty consistent since then. I used his maps as a reference as well as the map done for the Nolan Dark Knight movies. I also included close to a hundred references to the various actors, writers, artists, and creators that have helped to bring the Dark Knight to life for the last 75 years.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gotham-City-Big.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	67001  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Hey this is fantastic! How many of those street names actually appeared in the comics? There seems to be a lot of familiar names in there.

Very cool. Interesting that they should have a prison right across from the financial district.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpes View Post
    Very cool. Interesting that they should have a prison right across from the financial district.
    It's probably a convenience thing.

Hey this is fantastic! How many of those street names actually appeared in the comics? There seems to be a lot of familiar names in there.
    There are a few straight from the comics in there, but for the most part their exact locations are usually not specified. I tried to focus on adding a lot of hidden references in the street names.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Nice and efficient map! I like the general render, the color palette and the numerous details.

Amazing Job. Nicely done.

The Wayne mansion is far away from the city center.
    How come Batman is so quickly on location when needed despite trafic jams etc. ? What a superhero !

Awesome map on so many levels! Aside from the sheer amount of research you must have done, the style is perfect. Nice references on the street names too!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

I got it back from the printer last week and within minutes noticed a spelling error! Doh!

Luckily no one has called me out on it yet.

My Albums - My Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast