Thread: Help for world elevation map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Help for world elevation map

Hello people! :-) I'm new to this forum and would like a little help...

I can't say I'm a cartography fan so I don't have any experience, but I would like to create a globe out of something like this: http://www.gma.org/surfing/images/gores.gif
    The aim is to show the relief (relief? elevation? altitude? I'm not sure what is the correct term) of the land and the sea of our planet (I planned to paste extra (and thin) pieces of paper to create greater elevations-I like crafting stuff like that so I hope I won't get bored )
    The problem is, I can't find anywhere a reliable world map that shows the relief. The closest thing I've come till now is this Free Relief Layers for Google Maps (which I found through this forum :-)) but I later found out that the map projection Google Maps is using is a variant of the Mercator, and G.Projector does not support it, so I can't convert it accurately to Sinusoidal.

Anyway, the points I would like help with are:
    1. Does anyone have or know where I can find a world map that shows the relief?? It doesn't have to be crazy accurate, and it would suffice if the elevation change is every 1000 m (mainly I want the continents to have the correct shape). Also, my project will become SO MUCH easier if instead of colors, the map showed the elevation changes as contour lines. Otherwise I'll have to trace the colored shapes in a drawing program and that would take much more time :-/
    2. Is the Sinusoidal projection really the best for such a project? Or should I try something different?
    3. Would you recommend some other program apart from G.Projector for this project?

Thanks for your time Also, any other advice you have to give me is more than welcome!
    Last edited by SeaAngel; 09-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.