Thread: Greetings From Tomas

Default Greetings From Tomas

Hello, everyone here at the Cartographers' Guild! If you don't mind, I would like to introduce myself and express my gratitude for you all having me here. My name is Tomas, and although I have referred to this site on a few occassions in the recent months, only until now have I decided to plunge into this community filled with rich imagination and friendly and helpful social members. I look forward to becoming your acquaintance.

As for cartography, I have utterly no experience. But I believe I should start with another matter. About a year ago or so, I was drawn by the universe of Destiny, a video game developed by Bungie. In my attempts to understand more about this universe that caught my eye, I decided to get more involved with their website, where I ultimately began to write a Destiny story of my own. It was and still is my first written story, which I enjoy very much. Even so, that particular tale was not my first idea for a story. About ten years ago, I drew a character which inspired an epic that was put on a shelf for many years. That story has been long overdue and a newfound desire to work with it again and bring it to life with writing was birthed. For a short time now, I have revisited my memory and extracted this fantasy epic's details and pieced them together in notes. Here's where my writing meets cartography.

What kind of adventure is complete without a map to illustrate it?

I searched and searched for ways to make my desire a reality, and upon this site I stumbled. Using Inkscape and Gimp, which I credit my discovery to this community, I have toyed with elementary skills and tools to mold a map that captures my fantasy epic to the fullest.

I still have a long way to go before it meets my satisfaction, but I hope I can turn to you for aid when I am in need. I look forward to interacting with this group of artists and learning from it as well. Thank you very much!

Welcome to the Guild Tomas, you came to the right place!

Thank you very much for your warm welcome, Bogie. Having done some delving in the recent past, I learned that fact all too quickly. This is by far the best place to come when it comes to cartography. Thank you for having me.

For the moment, I'm still getting familiar with this new space. But soon I hope to get more involved with the discussions here. I have a lot of learning to do and I am looking forward to learning from the best.