• Walk Me Plank...Surprise! It's DRAGONS! by Pryme8

9 30.00%
  • Sci Fi Floor Tiles by schattentanz

1 3.33%
  • Cartographers' Toolbox by tainotim

10 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Challenge: Mapping Elements Time to Vote!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme8 View Post
    I do t think I'm ever competing with y'all agian, there is no respect for originality and I was to I had to restrict it to 6 items not 6 times 3 representations of it. Otherwise I would have done different scaling a of mine a we'll. I feel like people are voting for things that are the same thing just recycled... I did not even vote for myself I voted for those that showed creativity and provided things that have reusability... I'm sorry but a set of town icons can be drawn in a afternoon, the person that deserves way more respect this month is neyjor and I'm pretty ****ed at the community for not recognizing people that should be and circle jerking the same artist off over and over again.

I may be leaving this forum, it's a cool resource but I'm starting to feel out of the circle.
    Dude. First of all, it's only a silly contest with no prizes on an internet forum.

Second, people are allowed to vote for whoever they want to. I'm not sure where you're from, but on this forum we abide by a free voting process - you know, no strong-arming tactics, no guilt trips. Everybody's opinion of what they like and who they want to vote for is their own, and who are you to try and influence that?

Third, all WIP threads are freely viewable by everyone. If you felt so strongly that some entrants were violating the rules by showing three representations of six items, you had plenty of time to lodge a complaint with one of the CL's. I know I for one never heard anything from you. And nothing stopped you from doing your entry the same way - these contests have always, in all my years here, been about having fun and voter interpretation, rather than slavishly adhering to every stipulation.

Fourth, I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly can't draw a set of town icons in an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme8 View Post
    I do t think I'm ever competing with y'all agian, there is no respect for originality and I was to I had to restrict it to 6 items not 6 times 3 representations of it. Otherwise I would have done different scaling a of mine a we'll. I feel like people are voting for things that are the same thing just recycled... I did not even vote for myself I voted for those that showed creativity and provided things that have reusability... I'm sorry but a set of town icons can be drawn in a afternoon, the person that deserves way more respect this month is neyjor and I'm pretty ****ed at the community for not recognizing people that should be and circle jerking the same artist off over and over again.

I may be leaving this forum, it's a cool resource but I'm starting to feel out of the circle.
    You do realize that this is a public poll, yes? Everyone can see who voted for which entries by clicking on the little number between the bar graph and percentage column. Claiming that you did not even vote for yourself when you actually did takes a lot of wind out of your argument.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I always thought that the challenges were an excuse to try new things, improve skills or develop existing stuff. I'm pretty sure many guilders use them this way. Winning a challenge is cool, ok. But not that much important. I respect anyone that enters a challenge, even if my tastes don't always meet their work anf so even if they don't have my votes. But if people can't handle entering a challenge without winning or having as many votes as they wish they deserve, they should better keep themselves out of it.

Wow, I got a lot of votes. Thanks guys! You rock! Now I'm gonna have to enter every contest

It is always a good Idea to take a deep breath before burning bridges.

These challenges are mostly for fun and to push yourself to get better, the voting and winning are secondary. The fact is people are going to vote for what they like and will use, not necessarily what is hardest to make or what is "best". It just happens that there are more people here who make regional and world maps than people who make battlemaps so it stands to reason there are going to be more votes for entries that would be used on regional maps. There is plenty of love for the items that you and I and Neyjour and others made for battlemaps, there just isn't the same numbers. But that's OK, we had fun making and presenting our art.

I enter these to have fun and stretch myself a little. I usually win :-) because I'm running against myself. If I get off my butt and enter something, a first win. If I even finish - one win. If I made somebody think, or grin, or go Whaaaaaaaat?, another win. If I don't get the least amount of views among all the contest entry threads, another win. If I get ANY votes, another win. If I manage to not get the least votes - yet another. If i learned something, two more. If something in my entry thread helped someone else, three more. (bit of weighting there).

I *try* not to embarrass myself with total clumsy mapping, so I often go off at a tangent in some way -- if i can't compete with Max or Sapiento or Diamond or any of ninety others on beauty, function, and sheer mappishness (and I can't)(no shame in that!) then I compete some other way.

Really, it is impossible to judge objectively in most of these - it's pitting an Aston Martin against a Deusenberg against a Lotus against a Mad Max motorcycle against a Bonneville Flats racer against a rail dragster against a mountain bike against a moon buggy against a Back to the Future Delorean against a firewood powered Volvo against a Mack truck. So why try? Subjective judgement with a healthy dose of what pleases the viewer is fine. I throw in a bit of 'adherence to the rules' and 'originality' and 'geographic/ geometric/ cosmological/ riverine plausibility'. And I am alternatingly horrified and smug that betimes, if I voted on three successive days I'd pick totally separate sets of votes. And while I know what I like when I see it, I freely admit that just as much of the Guild maps better than i, so much of the Guild *judges* better than i.

And even time spent nattering about thinking about doing something about mapping, or browsing CG threads, or blathering a verbose two-dollar answer to a ten-cent question is NOT beating my brain against a wall in my somewhat stressful job. Basically, if I have CG up in a browser my afternoon/evening/morning (pick one) is MADE out of win. For which I thank you all, by the way!

There were very many worthy entries this month in spite the short time frame. Good job everyone. Plenty of inspiring and useful objects were made. This is actually one of my favourite challenges I've seen here because of the dual nature of it, what with much of the work licensed to share. So anyways, thank you everyone who participated.

Banned User

I would like to renew my suggestion that we have a third monthly challenge, devoted to "stuff". Textures, icons, symbols, all that good stuff that goes into mapmaking but doesn't result in an actual map. Maybe someone with authority would be willing to manage it, at least for a while, to see if there is enough participation and interest to make it permanent?

Ditto what Chick said
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I would like to renew my suggestion that we have a third monthly challenge, devoted to "stuff". Textures, icons, symbols, all that good stuff that goes into mapmaking but doesn't result in an actual map. Maybe someone with authority would be willing to manage it, at least for a while, to see if there is enough participation and interest to make it permanent?
    Let me talk about it with the other CLs and see what happens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast