Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Creation and Depiction of Fantasy Cities - Parts I & II

Guild Novice

This has been incredibly useful. Thanks.

Very well done, hope Part II comes soon.

Making a start on the second edition with the second chapter on this now. Only 3 more pages added, but I've beautified it somewhat (had to lose a lot of the beautification when the file size came in at 107 Mb though.

Anyway more to come soon, but I wanted to put up the new cover more than anything as more people are reading this and the old cover was pretty plain. You'll have to download it from Mediafire as the Guild limit on file size is not enough.

Link Here

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wow. This is REALLY cool. I know you're still working on this, but wanted to let you know that on page 12, you have some text being partially obscured by a pic.

I can't wait for the finished version ... this is going in my hardcopy reference book for sure once it's done.

Ooo, more great stuff! ::rubbing hands together happily:: I'm so excited to see you working on this. You go into some good details involving the underlying structure of a city. Very helpful.

Typos! Alas, there's one on your very lovely cover. You've swapped the places of the G and the T in "Cartographers'." Oops. (Or does this mean we're now some kind of fancy cargo movers? )

Page 17: I'm not sure what to make of this sentence:

Cities are rarely composed of a uniform set of buildings each of about the same size, shape surrounding public space, colour and decoration.

The whole first paragraph on that page could use some serious attention. :-/ The other errors I saw were minor. If you'd like, I'd be happy to proof all your text...
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Yeah, good stuff Ravells. I am pleased to see you found some use for the city of Sirilion (the last page mentions you used Sirilion as a background image, but where? I did see figure 23).

More importantly, where can I download the Cartographers Guild logo!? I noticed you using it on the first page. I looked around on the forum, but couldn't find the image you are using.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

StillCypher: Thanks! I shall make those amendments post haste! If you could proof read the rest you can get a free copy of the book . Seriously, any proof reading would be very gratefully accepted and paid in rep!

Gandwarf: Sorry I had Sirilion as a background image but it made the file size too big (107 mb) so I had to get rid of it. I'll need to remove that acknowledgment from the bibliography.

I'm not sure how protective Arcana is about the CG Compass Rose, let me ask him first and if he's OK with it, I'll ask him to put the .png in the miscellaneous drop down list at the top with all the other CG images.

Sorry there was so little to add this time round in terms of new material, but now I've got the look and feel basically how I want it - rats I still want that background image....maybe for the final version, I can get on with content rather than formatting.

Cheers!

Ravs

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ahem: I rock it old school - http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=370

Wow...look at that topic number...370...thats WAY back in the day.

I'll see what I can do about getting it in the misc section.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Yeah, I found the CC3 symbols. That's not the version Ravells seems to be using in his PDF though?
    ----------
    EDIT: ok, I downloaded the file and I guess it is the version Ravells is using

So can I use this compass in my maps?
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 05-18-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast