Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denedor's Tower (D&D home brew)

If I remember right glass windows became more common amongst the non noble classes in England mainly during the 1600s. When nobles built or rebuilt their manor houses (usually in brick) during the tudor period they would often include lots of windows - it being a prestige thing. Of course when the window tax came in at the end of the 17th century a lot of windows were then bricked up on smaller estates.

Of course defence is going to play a big part - you probably aren't going to put lots of big glass bay windows on a building designed to withstand a siege! (But you might alter it in such a way later on.) Climate also makes a big difference as Falconius mentioned.

There are other materials that can be used for windows though such as alabaster (and other translucent stone) and animal skin which also has translucent qualities when stretched. Both were quite popular on roman buildings. If I recall correctly a lot of the more downmarket insulae (apartment buildings) just used translucent stone windows especially on the upper floors.

I am not an expert on the subject or that much of a historian, but they put complex stained glass windows in Notre Dame Cathedral and they started building that in the 1100's. I would guess windows were around for a while before that, but as Falconius said, not in common use.

First windows were small, irregular, sort of flat panes as the the technology to make nice sheets would have come later.

Interesting trivia, if you find panes of glass that are over 100 years old the panes are thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom. Not because they were made that way, but because glass never totally hardens and it very slowly flows downward. It has properties of a fluid.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am not an expert on the subject or that much of a historian, but they put complex stained glass windows in Notre Dame Cathedral and they started building that in the 1100's. I would guess windows were around for a while before that, but as Falconius said, not in common use.

First windows were small, irregular, sort of flat panes as the the technology to make nice sheets would have come later.

Interesting trivia, if you find panes of glass that are over 100 years old the panes are thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom. Not because they were made that way, but because glass never totally hardens and it very slowly flows downward. It has properties of a fluid.
    The flowing glass explanation for panes being thicker at the bottom, is a myth. The difference in thickness is more likely to come from difficulties in the manufacturing process. - Does Glass Flow in Old Windows? | Infoplease.com

As for glass windows in fantasy settings, I usually include them in my world building as a rather common sight (basically having them in almost all middle class buildings and upwards). It may not be particularly historically accurate, but it somehow seems appropriate. Who knows, maybe elves have spread the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by 999ups View Post
    The flowing glass explanation for panes being thicker at the bottom, is a myth. The difference in thickness is more likely to come from difficulties in the manufacturing process. - Does Glass Flow in Old Windows? | Infoplease.com

As for glass windows in fantasy settings, I usually include them in my world building as a rather common sight (basically having them in almost all middle class buildings and upwards). It may not be particularly historically accurate, but it somehow seems appropriate. Who knows, maybe elves have spread the technology.
    Interesting, I was taught this in College Chemistry, Of course that was centuries ago. LOL Hopefully I'm not to old to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Interesting, I was taught this in College Chemistry, Of course that was centuries ago. LOL Hopefully I'm not to old to learn something new.
    Me too - "glass is really a liquid" is something that sticks with you after you first hear it. That the flow rate is in the domain of millions of years was not something I realized.

Just a side note to the other side notes. Early stained glass window sections/pieces were made from glass that was blown and cut to make a cylinder. The dye was added to the center of the cylinder and it was heated and flattened. Expensive stained glass is still made this way because the colors will never scratch off and the coloring minerals will not change the chemistry of the glass. If you look closely at glass made this way, you will notice small bubbles that were trapped in the glass as it was flattened.

The reason the thicker part of the glass is at the bottom of older windows is because it was placed that way by the window maker. Flat glass is a relatively new invention. With older glass, the window maker would cut the glass to size and shape and then put the thicker/stronger part of the glass at the bottom. Glass is a fluid, as was stated but the flow rate is incredibly slow. Think taffy on a cold day.

This tower could have glass windows (I think wizards figured glass out first) or vellum windows. Vellum is pretty translucent, tough, highly water resistant and relatively cheap. Glass would be great status symbol.

That said. The tower looks great!

Thanks Adversary!

This history of glass conversation is really interesting!

Although, based on this info, I have decided that all of the windows on the tower are just open holes in the wall that can be boarded up with thick shutters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12