Thread: Howdy, y'all ...

Guild Novice

Post Howdy, y'all ...

Just wanted to say hello and whatnot -- I'm a longtime gamer, had this closeted love for old maps since I can't remember when, and now I'm trying to settle down and get some stuff outta my head.

I figure that the best way to design a world is to take something you love -- be it an idea, a place, a person, a moral, a story, whatever -- and build the world to fit it. Tolkien had his Elven language, right?

So my most recent ... "thing" ... has been cities. I'll probably be poking my nose into posts that talk about city design, building structure, urban demographics, that kind of thing and then posting some ideas and maybe some scans onto the site.

I'm currently without a computer, as my laptop has developed a 1-in-7 motherboard issue that's being repaired by HP up in Tennessee as we speak, so I'll be posting and searching about via work computer for a while. Also, since we're talking about technology, I'll go ahead and say this: most of my stuff will more than likely be ink and paper, at least until I can get my laptop and software back. I used to build houses, and am a photographer now: thus creation of something by my own hands greatly appeals to me.

Yeah, so there you have it ...
    I'm never lost -- I'm always exactly where I think I am.

Welcome to the Guild Jake! I'm looking at citybuilding too and have an article in progress about it - you can find it here.

Other resources recently mentioned are:

medieval city demographics by S. John Ross

and

The online population generator

Hope you find them useful and start posting some maps once you get your computer back!

Welcome! We loves us some hand-drawn ink work, so don't be shy with that. As ravs said, we've had lots of discussion on city mapping lately. To his links, I'd like to add:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=828

...grrr... I thought there was another relevant thread, but now I can't seem to remember what it was. Ah well, what's been posted will probably be a good start for reading. And by the by, S. John Ross is also an occasional poster here. He goes by Ghalev (and I'm ashamed that it took me until just a couple of weeks ago to make that connection!)
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!

I am NeonKnight everywhere that matters
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    S. John Ross is Ghalev???

I didn't know that!
    Lol. I had the same reaction. What's really funny is that I'd connected him to the woodcut sea tutorial, but not to the Medieval Demographics article, even though the same name is associated with both.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name