Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: *** September Challenge - What is your Style? ***

Sorry, I'm confused now. I don't understand where pixels come into it. The map is 100 miles along each edge. If you want to make something hugely detailed and contained in a huge document that's fine. If you want to create a map which is small, that's also fine, but the distance would still be 100 miles along each edge for both of them. Effectively you can make the scale what you like, if you see what I mean.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I think he's confusing scale with pixels... but what rav said is true... make it as big or a small as you like... its still 100 miles long and 100 miles high...

Sorry rav... I was just trying to give him a pixel/mile ratio if he made his map in 800px increments... didn't mean to confuse you, or me...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I would think that the map would be larger in pixels than this original because it is very small. Its just a guide. I am like you in that my style is for a realistic view like a satellite image so that the towns would be really small in scale. If the map was 1000 pixels square then a pixel would be about 530 ft. So a village is just a pixel or two, a big town maybe 5. I think the expectation is to make a map that describes the locations as opposed to a photo real version of the terrain.
    i know a way to make villages that are about 3x5 pixels, but ive never tried anything smaller, so i may have to use symbols

and thanks rav and del

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind that style also refers to stylization...just because a river is DRAWN as if it were 700 meters across, doesn't mean that is is. Maps are a functional form of artwork, and in history many of the bits and pieces of maps were purely representational of location, not scale. A good stylized map will always show WHERE a river is and WHERE a town is, but very few stylized maps actually show size in relation to the maps scale.

Lets not be so picky about the fine science behind your entries and focus more on the art and style of your entries. That is in fact what we should all be voting on.

My 2C
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Oooo sounds exciting...!! I am a newcomer. Any scale or size restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by kpadua View Post
    Oooo sounds exciting...!! I am a newcomer. Any scale or size restrictions?
    Nope. As long as the map depicts the area shown and constrains to the map scale of 100 miles x 100 miles
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Never done a regional map before.....done lots of battlemaps and such.....but sounds like a challenge I can have some fun with.....count me in

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Uh oh, if Cisti's in then we're all in for some trouble, just don't let Kepli near the map when done
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

what is the phrase? Oh, yes, "It's on like Donkey Kong!"
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I thought I recognized that name from somewhere...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast