Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2008 Entry: Archean League

Wip September 2008 Entry: Archean League

In the northeastern reaches of the continent of Cambre, lies the sovereign towns of the Archean League. A loose alliance of trading states that operate a cooperative navy to protect their waters from piracy and foreign incursions.

I'll learn more background, as I develope the map.

First WIP: I enlarged the tiny, low res original to 24" x 24", then printed it to my large format laser printer at full size. Then I loosely traced a deliberate coastline, and rivers, as well as placing forests.

I imported to Xara, traced the mainland and nearest islands, cutting out the river valley's and lakes with drawing tool from a light green square. I applied a transparency, a halo shadow for the blue along the coast and rivers. I gave the land a very slight rounded bevel to give some height.

I imported my trusty parchment from my Lhessadrak map, cropped a 24" x 24" area and placed behind the map drawing and beveled mainland.

After I do the green land thing to the remaining islands, I will create a hand-drawn texture for the forests and blend a darker green for color.

I plan to place small lines of text pointing out important sites and battlefields from local history on the map. So later versions will be without compression so as not to blur the text.

WIP so far...

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	september-map.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	711.5 KB 
ID:	6295  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-02-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip Next Update!

Next map update.

I colored and beveled the forests, I opted not to create a heavy forest texture as I do not want to hide the text that will be placed atop these.

I created a higher elevation of land within each main island, mostly to frame around the lower salt marsh areas. I also colored the marsh areas a brighter light green. I placed some Superstition Mountain hills.

Almost complete with all the land masses.

WIP... next update!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	469 
Size:	724.6 KB 
ID:	6298  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

GP ...!!! You're wearing me out... you build maps so fast I'm beginning to wonder if maybe you aren't really human... hmmmm

Its looking good!! I love the parchment for the base... loving the palette as well...

Wip I'm trying to free up my month!

Next update from the inhuman cartographer!

I'm trying to free up my month, at least from the challenge. I don't want to spend the time I did in last months challenge. My goal is to finish this up by tomorrow.

3rd map, I've added standard 32 point Rhumb lines for ocean going navigation, with a compass rose at the center, with north delineated at 330 degrees from the top of the map.

Next I will create the mountain range in the southwestern portion of the map. That and hopefully all the town symbols will be complete tonight. Then labeling, roads and a border, so tonight or tomorrow I should be complete with this map.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	170 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	6306  
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip next update

OK, got side tracked on something else. Without much time, I hadn't yet created the mountains and towns like I promised. So I started to experiment with the labeling instead.

I did tweak some of the colors, some landform textures moved, before the last save. I put them back into place. I made the rhumb lines heavier. After printing a full scale color version, I thought the lines were kind of thin, now they are 2 point lines.

Thoughts on the site descriptions at the Battle of the Bay and Turtle Shoals. Will be creating similar text placements else where on the sea on at places on the land as well.

Next, update!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	174 
Size:	943.2 KB 
ID:	6312  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Almost done!

Almost done - finally completed the mountains, and I created the town symbols, added some more text labels. I also added a hand-drawn texture for the marsh areas.

All I have left is an ornate outer map border, and a legend with the main titling, cartographers notes, etc. I may even create torn/worn paper on the outer edge of the map.

Getting very close to completion!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	268 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	6321  
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Not happy with mountains

I'm not too sure about the mountains, I may change it - what do you think?

Thoughts?

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast