Thread: How do I make nice elevations with saderan tutorial?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Help How do I make nice elevations with saderan tutorial?

Hello, everyone. I´m currently working on my first map in Photoshop with Saderan´s tutorial, but now I´m stuck with mountains(elevation on the seventh page). Tutorial is very vague about this and I cannot find my own creations comfortabe, because they dont look good. I would appreciate, if someone could help me with this.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Here is url for my map on google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_X...ew?usp=sharing

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Unfortunately, there's no real trick to this. It's just a matter of playing with different sizes and opacities of your brush until you like the way it looks when you start randomly painting on the layer. I had a hard time with that step too at first.

Unfortunately, I think what Gidde means is that it takes artistic ability to get artistic results. I like the looks of the Saderan tutorial results, but I've never been able to get anything comparable with my limited talent and patience.

I think all can be done, by the brain storming in the right direction. This is being depended on efforts and designs

Blog Entries

also of note

not everyone uses the not free ( as beer or gpl) proprietary Adobe PhotoShop ©™
    now saving and uploading a *.psd image format is not really an issue
    the .psd format is WAY WAY WAY larger than it needs to be

it is uncompressed and holds all the UNDO's ( yes you could open that psd image on the g-drive link and start clicking "undo" )

a very good LOSELESS and compressed image format is "png"
    or
    if you do not mind having information in the image Permanently LOST and never to be recovered there is the jpg image format

i NEED to scan my system now
    that psd was trying to use 24 gig of ram and ALL my swap space and every CPU on my machine
    and that was just to open it
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 11-27-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

You should go for Jpeg almost all the time. PNG is best for text, for low resolution and images with a low number of colours and for image with transparency. If your image don't have these characteristics, JPEG is better. Otherwise, your file will be larger if you save in PNG.

Blog Entries

PNG is best for text, for low resolution and images with a low number of colours and for image with transparency.
    i have to disagree in the STRONGEST MANNER!!!!!
    png supports 16 bit per channel imaging ( 2.81474976711e+14 colors) ( 1.84467440737e+19 if you use the alpha chan.)

png is a gziped enabled LOSSLESS data compressed format

you are referring to the gif image format from the 1987
    That is a 8 bit INDEXED image format hat can ONLY handle 255 colors and 1 transparent color
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I did not mention GIF but your right, GIF is worst. But perfect for very small files.

I think that the critical point is that the final product that you distribute should probably be JPEG to reduce file size; intermediate work steps should be saved in your software's native format or in a format that is lossless (PNG would work well). Loading, modifying and saving JPEG files over and over is a sure way to get a horrible result.