Thread: September Challenge Extra: Shafiir - Forgotten but not forlorn

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip September Challenge Extra: Shafiir - Forgotten but not forlorn

OK, so here was my very first entry in one of the challenges (I have since replaced it with another map that I prefer)...trying some new ideas and a few new textures (all but the forest texture are from Spiral Graphics and modified using Genetica) on this one. Still some work to do such as cities, a scale, etc. but the terrain is largely complete.

"Cut off from the majority of the Empire by nigh-impenetrable mountains, the Shafiir province is considered by many a back-water region. In truth it is largely ignored and nearly forgotten by the more populous and cosmopolitan areas of the central Empire. For nearly 200 years, the imperial governors have had total control of the region, and as long as the taxes continued to flow toward the capital they have been left to their own devices.

The people of who live here have become largely independent of the Empire, and when questioned by visitors refer to themselves as the people of Shafiir, rather than citizens of the Empire."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shafiir-WIP.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	6309  
    Last edited by Steel General; 09-05-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Corrected where one of the textures came from
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Love your style of mapping, Have you described anywhere how you do your trees? as they are causing me all sorts of headaches right now and yours look great.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Jkaen - Thanks...For my trees on a 'regional-level' map I usually use a texture that I thought I had gotten from Spiral Graphics, but now that I think about it I got from this post.

@Ravs - Thanks...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel General >> In my opinion, all your maps seem to have the same problem. The coast line is to blurred. Can you put more contrast, or enforce the coast line with some sand lines? It is for me, the only comment I can do. The map looks nice!