Thread: Portfolio : Ideas?

Wip Portfolio : Ideas?

Along with my move to the UK (the visa apps are in, waiting the excruciating 2 days to hear back for acceptance) I will be creating a portfolio website for my geomatics career... and I wanted to bounce some idea's off ya...

I'm using the free Content management system Joomla!, and have picked my fav free template... you can see it here. In this template, i'll be changing round the images a bit, but the rest will probably stay the same...

What i was thinking, was to change the background clouds into some sort of map grid, fading toward the bottom as the clouds do... probably an old timey line-in-every-direction type of "grid"... also i was looking at maybe an old map, blurred and stuff just to give character...

i found the attached map online, and well, on a side note.. its what i would like to become my style .. but i think it would also look fairly good as a background style map (blurred out so you can't see it, just so you can see theres something there, and its a map... i dunno ideas would be appreciated...)

other then that, the portfolio will have entries for my resume (skills qualifications education etc) and an ongoing article system for projects i've worked on... for instance for school, i will list the courses i took, brief descriptions of what we took, links to maybe the course outlines, and examples of our work from that class... as i move on into a career, projects with desc will be added, with pics or pdf's of the results...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_innsmouth.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	6311  
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I like the fade in idea... anything to get rid of all that sky and clouds and grass... don't you just hate generic template setups? ... You think they could actually make something that looks good and cool from the start... something you might not want to change the look of... but marketing isn't my area of expertise... nor am I a geomedia professional ..which i'm not sure I know what geomedia professional's do... (hang out @ the local map guild ? )

I love the map .... If i'm not mistaken... a Cthulhu map... or at least I believe we used one very similiar in a game once.. I love old maps