Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Rackham Gap

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip September Entry: Rackham Gap

You know I couldn't let a challenge like this slip by, even though you are all quite familiar with my style by now. I spent 2 night getting the landmasses "just so"...mainly just experimenting with some techniques (all of which I discarded). Spent about an hour putting the topography together and another whole night experimenting with rivers. This is where I'm at, still much to do and I might change it all up in the end to a unique parchment style that I use. I'm still not all that impressed with these rivers since they're either wider or thinner than what I'm used to doing. Me, my 8 year old mouse, 8 year old pc, and Photoshop CS. Anywho give her a look.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-08-Cha-Asc-1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	6325  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh this is nice! You always do a killer job with mountains. I also really like the rich colors you use for the water/land. Great job as always.

This month is going to be a tough vote!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far. I must admit that I really don't care to much for the day-glow skulls, but that's just me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I didn't care too much for them either, they were just to get me into a piratey mood. Small update, got the labeling done. Mostly pirate names, except the cities, lakes, and rivers which are current soccer players of the respective flag/country (Spain, France, Netherlands, England, Portugal, and USA).

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	78 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	6331  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Wow, what a fantastic map The only thing that I could say needs work are the rivers, which look kind of plain next to that gorgeous landscape and water.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Did you touch up the mountains at all? ... Cause they look like mountains today, maybe I was just hallucinating the other day...

Love the flags... espcially love that coastal effect you got going on there.... that is really spectacular...

I don't think anyone has noticed my names of my rivers... I was waiting for someone to spot it ... but maybe not... might as well have fun with it tho, right?

Great Job... keep it up

Actually, I haven't even touched it for about 3 or 4 days, whenever the last update was, until this morning when I turned the whole thing into an "old style parchment" for fun. Still have some more work to do but I'm, uh, pacing myself, 'cuz weekends are all about football (pro, college, and futbol). Not sure which style I'll finally submit but I'd feel "dirty" if I didn't use my main style on a contest about style (even if it does look like a lot of the other submissions)

Name:	9-08-Cha-Asc-2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	6396  

The both look good in there on way. Be interesting to see which is you final submission.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I decided to kick it up a notch with more interesting forests and swamps. Got some lil work to do with the rivers still then the finish graphics. Might turn the flags into 3d flagpoles "stuck" into the map as pushpins but haven't decided.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	49 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	6405  
    Last edited by Ascension; 09-08-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast