Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Islands

Default Silver Islands

This is a regional map of the silver islands, a very small part of a world map I'm currently working on.
    The silver islands' geography and culture are loosely based on the real world cold, moss-covered and windswept islands of northern Europe- Orkney islands, Faroe islands and the Scottish hebrides.
    Please tell me your thoughts about the artistic style, place names, etc.
    More to come soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	695.0 KB 
ID:	68958

That has a very pleasing look to it, lewagal, and I like the place names. Only thing, I know you said it was a smaller part of a large map so it may not be worth consideration but, why did you put the Silver Islands label on either side of them like that? And Aovin and Dul labels hugging the shore where other small islands have their names horizontal and off to the side?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Welcome to the Guild Lewagal, nice way to make an entrance.

Hey, welcome to the Guild! A nice little map in your very first post: thank you. You don't have to keep up a 100% map to post ratio :-), but we do appreciate folks who add substantive content right from the start. I count that as worth a smidgen of rep, even if the map wasn't good-looking (which it is).

What's the purpose of this one, and your mapping in general? That'll influence the info you want to place on it, the style, everything. I agree consistency in the labeling would improve this one, but if you were intentionally experimenting with different alignments it doesn't look *bad*. It would maybe read better if the Silver Islands title were off to the edge, maybe the bottom right. It could stand a modest border - even a pinstripe cut line around the periphery would set it off nicely; that and a bit of margin would immediately say "view of a paper map", if that's what you want. On a large-scale map like this a scale bar would be not out of place.

Looks good just like it is, though!

Very clean and pleasant map and good colors. A very good entrance, indeed. Welcome on board!

Thank you all for your opinions. I changed the island labeling as suggested, however the general inconsistency of the labels is deliberate as I'm trying to avoid hiding land features with texts. The purpose of the map, by the way, is simply having fun making it.
    As promised, I created another part of the map- A part of the continent southeast of the silver islands, namely the lands of Hibion and Cul.
    As with the silver islands, those lands are geographically and culturally based on real world locations: Hibion is inspired by celtic lands such as Ireland, Brittany and Galicia, and Cul is inspired by Scotland- It's southern part is dominated by highlands dotted with long lakes, while the northern part is made of coastal wetlands and bogs.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	89 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	68967
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	68966  
    Last edited by lewagal; 11-08-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Very pleasant map Legawal, I like the soft color scheme on it.

I also like this map. Nice colors, but I'm a bit unsure about the generated backround-cloud (the water). I think I should have made it less obvious, and eventually added a coast/shallow water or some kind of outline around the lands.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

A very pleasing style, as others already said. I do hope you'll show us even more of this world. Sounds very intriguing! Have some Rep. and a Like.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

sorry for the necromancy though this was just posted on FB and i had to say these are gorgeous! any insight into how you got those mountains done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast