Thread: [Ideas request]Fantasy map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip [Ideas request]Fantasy map

Hey guys. I've been lurking for a long time and been practicing and using the techniques learned here.

I run a D&D game for a couple of friends and I have gone whole hog on the worldbuilding.

So here is my current world map. I would like some input on it. What major features does it miss, what techniques could I employ to fill the empty spaces? Should I?
    One thing I *know* I am missing, is some indication of snow and ice in Hrimiskali but I am unsure how to go about adding it.

The distances are roughly equivalent to europe (Hrimiskali would be north Norway and Vieto roughly Rome)

I am aware that Haerontaur is very northernly for a deciduous forest but magic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_map.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	68981

Beware dollhouse syndrome! Sometimes empty space is useful in balancing out busy areas of the map and help to pull your eye to the parts that matter.

Overall, it looks like a nice, clean map. Depending on the map, a scale might be useful; at least one set of gradations on that scale should probably be the same size as the black and white bars around the map. A title is also useful.

As always, though, what goes on the map is determined by why the original mapmaker made the map.

Banned User

I would suggest you bring the land mass a little further away from the borders, I think that would give better artistic balance.

Then I would roughen up the coastline with more small bays, inlets, and maybe a few small islands off the coasts, to give better natural geologic appearance.

Overall, it's pretty nice, good use of the graphic icons and attractive coloring and texture.

Some things that spring to mind: It may be your intention but, the border does jump out as it's quite noticeably different in style and texture from the other elements. For your coldest regions, a loose/grungy application of semi-opaque white on the northern reaches and mountains might not look bad on a map like this; might even bring it partly around the deciduous forest so we get a hint that there's something different about it. That's a nice job on river placement and shaping. Your background is nice and interesting but it doesn't match the level of quality/pixel-sharpness as the rest of your map; if you could sharpen it without degrading it overmuch that would be nice, or, if not, maybe you could find a higher-resolution replacement... because it's a very nice map.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I would definitely roughen up the coastline. And a scale would be fantastic.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

If you're going for that hand drawn style, you could maybe add some wave lines/woodcut (I forget what the proper term is) to break up the plainness of the bodies of water. Also the mountains look great zoomed out, but could maybe benefit from having a bit more variety in size and spacing to make them look a little more natural.

Overall, its a great looking map. Its definitely good to have blank space on the map, but make sure there are details to draw the eye in every so often. Are you using GIMP or PS to make this, btw?