Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oecumene of Terra

Post The Oecumene of Terra

Half of the world many millions of years in the future, part of my Book of the New Sun/Dune/Whatever else interests me at the time world building project.

My hope is to redo this is Bryce, or at least some program that can produce a more detailed and realistic map. I'm been messing with photoshop, but for what it's worth the bevel tool does not a good mountain make.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If you put a bit of gaussian blur on the different layers it should help to 'soften' the lines between the various colors so they aren't so hard.

There are several tutorials on doing mountains in Photoshop & GIMP, you may want to check them out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This has a very awesome cartoony feel to it. Great work

Blog Entries

I like the map. I took one instant look at it and thought... ohhh if you just make each of those colors into the right shade of gray then you could get a height map and run it into a 3D app. So if your going into Bryce then thats the way to go. Do you have a copy of this map without the text on it ?

I like this map a lot. Having the contours really gives you a feel for the lay of the land.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

great looking map... I love the style and feel of it

Post The Western Hemisphere of Terra

I really appreciate that people are responding so well to my map, so I thought I might post the other half of it.

I like the map too, it was fun to make and taught me paint.net. You would be able to notice the pixely noise and jagged edges up close, so I'd like to make something better. But hey, why knock an accomplishment.

Right now all I have is the more up close maps, with all those little fiddly titles easier to read (every location name comes from a real thing, usually gods and myths). If anyone wants me to post the regional maps just say so.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I thought Hyperborea and Acheron was from REH's Conan stories... maybe he ripped them off tho...

Acheron is in Greek mythology one of the rivers that flow through the realm of Hades. Hyberborea is literally "land beyond Northern Wind" (the Northern Wind bearing the name Boreas). Since Boreas was believed to dwell in Thrace, Hyperborea to the Greeks would have meant all the land north of Thrace. The name Hyperborea has been used by REH but even more so by Clark Ashton Smith. The former's hyperborea was located in Russia, the latter's in Greenland.

Nice map, nemojbatkastle. It could use a legend to explain what the different colors mean. Also, I think the two shades of yellow are a bit too similar. Making them more distinct would make it easier to spot the border where areas bearing these colors touch.

Much of my setting takes from REH and CAS, with Hyperborea and Acheron being shameless references to the Hyborean world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast