Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Sorantyr

Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP - Sorantyr

Just wanted to get some feedback as to what I can do to make this a better map. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sorantyr.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	69057

Guild Journeyer

It's not too bad, although I actually think this would look much better as a black and white map. If not, then to improve: lighten the mountains, they're too dark; desaturate the northern forest; make all the bodies of water the same colour (and if I were you I'd be making them all darker to help separate the land); and consider the course of the river, as rivers normally take the easiest path to the sea. Taking a path through the mountains may not be the easiest... other than that, there's a nice sense of adventure coming through and it'd be nice to see more.

Guild Artisan

Have a river going out of the lake and flowing to the sea - there would be one because the lake overflows.
    Perhaps put some snow on the mountains.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Fido's Avatar

The color's a bit off, the mountains and the forests are way too saturated. Also weird you used too much textures that shows it in a orthographic or isometric perspective but in reality the map is in top view 0_0

Guild Apprentice

I was finally able to get back to work on this. Decided to keep it in color but agree that the colors needed to be dialed down a bit. Added some new stuff but still have a bit more to do in regards to adding and labeling. I did have a question on how to label the mountains. For example the Sundered Mountains how should they be properly labeled also the mountain range to the east is one continuous range that goes off map. How would you label that one? Still looking for any and all critiques. They are appreciated and have already played a role in changing my map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sorantyr.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	69516

Colors are much better now! Why not adding a texture effect to the lakes (maybe similar to the one you used on the sea)?

Guild Artisan

God help you if the tectonic squad sees precisely the range going out to the east.
    Ranges in T are severely prohibited

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Colors are much better now! Why not adding a texture effect to the lakes (maybe similar to the one you used on the sea)?
    That sounds like a good idea the lakes do seems a little plain.

God help you if the tectonic squad sees precisely the range going out to the east.
    Not sure what Ranges in T means amigo. Sorry its going over my head.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Ome View Post

Not sure what Ranges in T means amigo. Sorry its going over my head.
    Well people who are doing realistic maps, use plate tectonics on fantasy worlds to find out where mountains arise because the tectonics is the process how mountain ranges are created.
    There are several threads about that here.
    So basically once you defined where your plates are, you know exactly where mountains and continental rifts will be what leads to very realistic maps.

Now because of that, you can never have ranges in T because either the contact between the plates is N/S and then you have a N/S range or the contact is E/W and then you have a E/W range. But not both.
    For example on the Earth you could not have a mountain range going from the Rockies which are N/S oriented towards East.

Not saying that you have to respect tectonics.
    Just a joke

It is coming along nicely and Shows alot of potential. keep going !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast