Thread: My first regional map

Map My first regional map

{remote link broken... image attached now}

This was done in paint.net. I copied what I could from the making overland maps in Gimp tutorial, but Paint.net is missing many of the advanced features of Gimp, so I just fudged the rest in my own particular idiom.

Next time I'll try out some of the plugins for PDN.

I realized I have no idea what the scale should be for this thing... Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rpgmap1.1asmall.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	567.0 KB 
ID:	6342  
    Last edited by Thegreenman; 09-04-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Umm missing map?

In case you don't know how, when you post, click the "Go Advanced" button and below the input box there is a Manage Attachments button. This opens a popup window and you can then upload your file and it will create a clickable thumbnail image in your post that when clicked will show the full size image if its a jpeg or png file.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

fixed, thanks for the heads up, jfrazierjr

I like the general shape, and I really like the way that you did the rivers. I am not so sure that I like the texture that you used for the woodlands, but that is just personal taste.

Post any ideas

Thanks for the comment,

have any suggestions for making the woodland textures better?
    paint.net doesn't have textures afaik. The only way I know how to do them is by rendering clouds and adding noise. Should they be more tightly textured?

edit
    How's this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1redone_small.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	6358  
    Last edited by Thegreenman; 09-05-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added new info

Post Greenman?

I think a tighter woodland texture could improve this map, though I don't really know what the scale is to know how tight the woodlands should be.

I also think your coastlines are too smooth, they lack detail. Since you use a clouds filter, you could "cloud filter the black/white original map, then tighten contrast to give you more coastal detail - as per RobA's GIMP tutorial - that is if Paint.net allows you to do this.

Finally, Greenman, are you the same "thegreenman" as in MySpace. If so, then you are already a MySpace Friend of mine. On MySpace, you mentioned you were working with an Atlantean campaign and were working with an earth map, but different level of ocean, thus altering the current earth.

If so, "Hi Friend!", if not, sorry...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I think a tighter woodland texture could improve this map, though I don't really know what the scale is to know how tight the woodlands should be.

I also think your coastlines are too smooth, they lack detail. Since you use a clouds filter, you could "cloud filter the black/white original map, then tighten contrast to give you more coastal detail - as per RobA's GIMP tutorial - that is if Paint.net allows you to do this.

Finally, Greenman, are you the same "thegreenman" as in MySpace. If so, then you are already a MySpace Friend of mine. On MySpace, you mentioned you were working with an Atlantean campaign and were working with an earth map, but different level of ocean, thus altering the current earth.

If so, "Hi Friend!", if not, sorry...

GP
    Heh, wrong Greenman...but Hi anyway...

Anyway PDN doesn't have the x/y offset filter built in to do the jagged coastlines, I tried using a different method, but it looked like doo. Maybe I can find it as a plugin, but I'll look for it. Anyway thanks for the advice. i agree about the coastline and the texture. I'm only on day three, so I'm learning a lot about this stuff as I go.

I like this second map a little better than the first. I prefer the symbol that you used for the woodlands over the first symbol. However, that is just my preference, because the first map was also good.

I didn't really see any problems with the coastline until Gamerprinter pointed it out. The coastline could be a little "rougher" However, that depends on what the scale of the map is. If it is of a larger region, then it would make sense that the coastline would be somewhat less detailed.