Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: A'Jhön Empire

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    @Sage, Thank you I try anyways...

Ok, I was playing around with some colors... here was some of what I'd done... I just pulled the one corner that I was working on since I hadn't done the whole map. I'll be cleaning up the edges and what not, this was just to get an idea of what it will look like... What do ya'll think?

Attachment 6409
    I prefer the B&W one, especially after your latest update. To me, there is just something about hand drawn that screams B&W.

For me at least, the cross hatch style shading seemed to jar to much when you add color to it. I see you have some blended shades and highlights under the mountain lines(which I like), but I can't see enough due to the cross hatch to see if it would blend well with the cross hatch missing. I really like the green of the forest, tis very nice color selection. Not big on the tan plains, not sure if you plan to introduce a few more color variations or not, but right now, the tan, grey, and green is not blending in my eyeballs very well.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Man, I am glad I did mine Hand drawn and never looked at anyones until I had the majority of the map done, as some of these hand drawn maps are quite well, This being one being probably the best. Ooooooo well, another I challenge I won't win
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I prefer the B&W one, especially after your latest update. To me, there is just something about hand drawn that screams B&W.

For me at least, the cross hatch style shading seemed to jar to much when you add color to it. I see you have some blended shades and highlights under the mountain lines(which I like), but I can't see enough due to the cross hatch to see if it would blend well with the cross hatch missing. I really like the green of the forest, tis very nice color selection. Not big on the tan plains, not sure if you plan to introduce a few more color variations or not, but right now, the tan, grey, and green is not blending in my eyeballs very well.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    Ya, the color thing is just something I wanted to do after I got the tablet, test run ya know. I do have blended colors on the mountains... I'll try to fix the hatch issue, maybe get rid of it all together. The tan plains was something I threw down in a hurry ... it won't be there forever.
    I to was happy with the trees ... at least i'm not completely color blind ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Man, I am glad I did mine Hand drawn and never looked at anyones until I had the majority of the map done, as some of these hand drawn maps are quite well, This being one being probably the best. Ooooooo well, another I challenge I won't win
    Thanks NK, but I kinda felt the same way... I was under the impression your's was better than mine But with so many great entries... and in color, I don't think i'm in danger of winning anything anytime soon either... Just got to keep plugging away, we'll get ours soon enough Neon... soon enough.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I dunno if something gets lost in the conversion to .JPG or its something else, but the swamps almost look like they have a big black line around them.

The jungles look great!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ya, SG, its supposed to be stipple, but it isn't working out all that well... I redid it somewhat ... hopefully it looks more like a swamp and less like a black hole

Here's the color version so far... not my entry ... my entry to come after this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept-color1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	6419

Changed out the black holes for swamps... finished the labeling ... I hope... Still might change out the forests tho... the jungle has to stay.. still might have to tweak the swamps...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept7.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	6420

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Put me down as a vote for the B&W because you do it so amazingly well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanx Big A ... at least I have I can call myself skilled at one thing.. appreciate the praise...

I prefer the B&W as well Delgo
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's probably just me, but the swamps still look the same. Love everything else though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast