Thread: Greetings and Salutations

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Frankston North, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Greetings and Salutations

Hello all,

Posting just to introduce myself, of course.

I love maps - all sorts. Always have. But my main mapping interest - personally speaking - is producing maps I can use in my roleplaying campaigns. I've been playing and running RPGs for about 32 years now. I've done a little bit of freelance writing for a small British games company (and a couple of maps I did wound up in one of their products), but mostly what I produce is for my own games. I'm not the most artistically talented person in the world, so I use Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer Suite. I'm reasonably proficient with it now, but I wouldn't call myself any sort of great cartographer - just good enough to produce what I need for my own games.

For much of the last year, on and off, I've been working on my biggest ever mapping project - for my game, I needed a city, so I've been mapping that. The game world I play in is a kind of fantasy analogue of Earth, and this city is the analogue of the capital of England, so I've tried to come up with a map and design that is inspired by medieval London, without having to be rigidly based on any of it. I intend to share what I've done here at some stage in the near future in the hope of getting criticism and comments on how to improve it - but you can see what I would call the 'first draft' at http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/ongus.html - this draft really is probably 80-90% of where I am at now but I am constantly finding things I don't like and want to fix and tweaking.

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/maps.html shows some of my other maps - again, it's all Campaign Cartographer based.

Guild Novice

Wow, that is a ton of detail, nicely done!