View Poll Results: ***October November 2014 Challenge voting : Commission a Guilder***

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Hunt by - Max -

20 52.63%
  • The Evil Eagle's Aerie by Azelor

0 0%
  • The Jester's Eyrie by Bogie

4 10.53%
  • Lingon's request by Chasio

6 15.79%
  • The Seething Harrow by Diamond

0 0%
  • Unnamed (yet) by Djekspek

1 2.63%
  • Kingdom of Värda by Domino44

8 21.05%
  • The Northern Lands by eViLe_eAgLe

1 2.63%
  • Bogie's Redthorn by jaxilon

12 31.58%
  • Wisptown by Larb

6 15.79%
  • Chasio's request by Lingon

6 15.79%
  • Starfall by Sapiento

19 50.00%
  • The Mountain city of Kashir by Tainotim

19 50.00%
  • Larb's commission by TheHoarseWhisperer

7 18.42%
  • Valles Marineris by Xpian

4 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***October November 2014 Challenge voting : Commission a Guilder***

First, can I say how fantastic this challenge has been. I want to suggest, to any CL's reading this, that perhaps this two-month commission challenge could become an annual event. The quality of maps that have been produced is outstanding, and I have never had more fun seeing the progress of a challenge.

Second, my votes. I always limit myself to only two votes, and that has never been more difficult than today. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Larb got my first vote. She's done a great job on Wisptown, and I am really pleased with how it looks. My second vote went to Lingon; I'll give the reasons below.

Third, thanks to the people who have voted for me. I don't feel like I deserve it, but thanks anyway.

Fourth, because of the quality of entries this challenge, I think each deserves some individual words, so here goes:
    The Hunt, by - Max -
    Artistically, this map maintains Max's high standard. I especially like the depiction of Baleia and Ess'hail. I do, however, have a few criticisms.
    --in my opinion, the journey looks too linear. I think it would have been nice to see some dead-ends, red herrings, looping back to previous places etc.
    --I also would have liked to see the text for the journey scattered around, rather than making a solid lump of text in one area. I know that that can be a hard thing to do, as the text inevitably starts looking messy, but all the same...
    --partly because of the position of the text, I feel that this map doesn't really allow the eye to move around like some other maps. There's nothing much to see except for the journey (i.e. all the other lands are left unnamed, and uncommented upon). I think that a viewer could probably just read the text without even needing to look at the map.

Overall, the map is artistically fantastic, but lacking a bit in design and content. Hope that isn't too harsh.

The Evil Eagle's Aerie, by Azelor
    I really like the direction this map was taking. Clearly unfinished, I think it shows enormous promise. Also, as a person trained in urban/architectural history, I think the layout of the town is really well done. I hope you keep going with it.

The Jester's Eyrie, by Bogie
    A very well-made map, with excellent attention to detail. Unfortunately, if I am being honest, this isn't a style that I like much, but I can clearly see that this is a superb example of that style. I really like being able to see the overall area, and then the two extra floorplans. My only criticisms are the shape of the plateau (it looks a bit too regular and paper-shaped, I think), and the large amount of empty space left outdoors. I hope you'll keep working on this (and, again, I hope that doesn't sound harsh).

Lingon's request, by Chashio
    I'll keep this brief: artistically fantastic, has huge potential, would certainly be one of my favourites if closer to completion. I'm keen to see what happens next.

The Seething Harrow, by Diamond
    Um, obviously there are a few problems with this one. I think congratulations to xpian, for inventing one of the most mind-boggling commissions of all time, and the fact that it seemed to defeat Diamond is no mean feat. Still, Diamond's work is always so good, I am sure with more time we'd be seeing something spectacular.

Unnamed (yet), by Djekspek
    Artistically beautiful. The setting is intriguing, and the approach, I think, very innovative (which is a big plus in my book). Unfortunately not finished.

Kingdom of Varda, by Domino44
    I think Fabio P put it best: "Domino44 is showing continuous skills improvement in her super fine (her best to date I think) map." I love the style: it looks like a genuinely old map (especially the town plan, part).

The Northern Lands, by eViLe_eAgLe
    Another artistic stunner, but presumably not finished. Also, there's possibly something a bit mismatched about the style: there are strong elements of traditional Japanese art (the swirly clouds--my favourite part--and the mountains), the border looks more North European, and the overall feel doesn't quite fit into any category. Perhaps, once furnished with places and labels it would become clearer what style is on display.

Bogie's Redthorn, by Jaxilon
    This is probably my third favourite map for this challenge (I would have voted for it if I had allowed myself three votes). I like how the map turned out, but I also liked the brighter earlier version: as I say in the thread, I think it is really easy to imagine oneself standing on the beach, looking up at the forest and the volcano, with the noise of gulls and waves nearby. Also, I think it is always great to see some experiments in medium.

Wisptown, by Larb
    Well, obviously I'm biased. I invented the setting of Wisptown solely for the challenge, but now, with an excellent map and some decent lore, I want to find some way to use that setting. Anyway, Larb has done a fantastic job, as I knew she would. I specifically asked for a town map in her usual style, because I like it so much, and she hasn't disappointed. I get the sense from the WIP thread that it isn't completely finished: I'd be happy to see it continued (but, obviously, now the challenge is over, there's no obligation or anything).

Chashio's request, by Lingon
    My second vote. The reason: quite simply, this map is aesthetically a knockout; the best of the month in terms of artistic quality. I especially love the forests, but there's frankly nothing I don't like about it. Another one I'd love to see completed.

Starfall, by Sapiento
    I really like the colour palette on this map. Deliberately keeping it to a simple palette, I think, is genius. Also, the border's grotesqueness is kinda appealing, in a weird sort of way. I know that isn't a very insightful review, but there's something about this one that is really hard to describe. It's good, though; definitely very good.

Mountain City of Kashir, by Tainotim
    There's a bit of an issue with the mountain. As Lingon says, and I agree, it looks a bit gemstone-esque. However, this is probably my fourth favourite for the two months. The attention to detail, creativity, and craftsmanship, really stand out. Not to mention the fact that you have managed to maintain a consistent scale and style the whole way, which is something I've been struggling with. Lastly, the simple fact that you managed to finish it, which is more than many of us were able to do, is worthy of merit. Good job.

Larb's Commission, by THW
    I'm not going to review my own map. That would be silly.

Valles Marineris, by xpian
    This map is really interesting, but I also find it quite confusing. There's so much going on, and I think you were really trying to fit a lot in. Having said that, this is also a map where taking the time to go through all the details, reading all the captions, and properly scrutinising it, really pays off. I know it is currently unfinished, but it is already very impressive (also, really like the topography, and how you've dealt with it; great job).

Lastly, it is a pity that Schwarzkreuz was unable to finish his map. I hope your health problems don't bother you for too long, and you're able to get back into the mapping saddle before long.

Oh well, that's all of them. A lengthy post, but hopefully people appreciate the comments. And one last time: I hope none of the critiques were too harsh or negative. Guess I'd better start repping.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

@TheHoarseWhisperer - That's a lot of good, thoughtful, valuable feedback. Thank you for taking the time. Also, whenever I think about saying your alias out loud, I hear it in Yoda's voice. Like, the Yoda who is about to "pass on" and become one with the Force, lying there in his hut on Dagobah, barely able to speak...and he says, "The...hoarse...whisperer...am I."
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

@Sapiento: I will still finish the Station next. But well once again not timely to a challenge. I am still cursed (even with two months, oh my)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    The Jester's Eyrie, by Bogie
    A very well-made map, with excellent attention to detail. Unfortunately, if I am being honest, this isn't a style that I like much, but I can clearly see that this is a superb example of that style. I really like being able to see the overall area, and then the two extra floorplans. My only criticisms are the shape of the plateau (it looks a bit too regular and paper-shaped, I think), and the large amount of empty space left outdoors. I hope you'll keep working on this (and, again, I hope that doesn't sound harsh).
    A lengthy post, but hopefully people appreciate the comments. And one last time: I hope none of the critiques were too harsh or negative. Guess I'd better start repping.
    THW
    Constructive criticism is always welcome. I don't mind that you don't care for this style of map, we each have our own preferences and that is what makes us unique. I appreciate that you recognize how much effort I put into the details. A few people think that if a map isn't hand drawn then it was just cut and paste and slapped together. I spend hours searching for just the right textures or objects to put in my maps. Many of the objects and textures were created by me with my camera and photoshop. This map took more than 20 hours to create not counting making the objects.
    I agree with you that there is a lot of plain open space, I wish I had more time to do something interesting with it, but that space was part of the commission as Jaxilon wants his players to be able to expand the Keep on a large flat plateau. And I made the mistake of trying to use every inch of the DundJinni workspace which made the whole thing very rectangular. I should have made it a bit more freeform in shape but that is something I struggle with and need to work on.
    Anyway, Feedback is what helps us improve and I thank you for taking the time to give yours.

A wonderful gallery indeed ! That challenge was just incredible to follow. So much talents here. I hope to see the unfinished ones, one day. And I fully support the idea to make an annual challenge of this theme!

Ok, now that I've finally decided myself (couldn't do less than 3 votes).. I'm preparing gladly my rep wand

Ah, First time I discover that we're limited by how much rep you can give in 24 hours... I'll finish this tomorrow !
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 11-22-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    @TheHoarseWhisperer - That's a lot of good, thoughtful, valuable feedback. Thank you for taking the time.
    No worries, xpian. Good luck with the voting.

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    Also, whenever I think about saying your alias out loud, I hear it in Yoda's voice. Like, the Yoda who is about to "pass on" and become one with the Force, lying there in his hut on Dagobah, barely able to speak...and he says, "The...hoarse...whisperer...am I."
    To be honest, I've regretted choosing the name TheHoarseWhisperer from a few seconds after I joined the Cartographers' Guild. That's why I sign with THW instead. Maybe if I pretend I am wise, powerful, short, and green, I'll be able to come to terms with my bad pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Constructive criticism is always welcome. I don't mind that you don't care for this style of map, we each have our own preferences and that is what makes us unique. I appreciate that you recognize how much effort I put into the details. A few people think that if a map isn't hand drawn then it was just cut and paste and slapped together. I spend hours searching for just the right textures or objects to put in my maps. Many of the objects and textures were created by me with my camera and photoshop. This map took more than 20 hours to create not counting making the objects.
    I agree with you that there is a lot of plain open space, I wish I had more time to do something interesting with it, but that space was part of the commission as Jaxilon wants his players to be able to expand the Keep on a large flat plateau. And I made the mistake of trying to use every inch of the DundJinni workspace which made the whole thing very rectangular. I should have made it a bit more freeform in shape but that is something I struggle with and need to work on.
    Anyway, Feedback is what helps us improve and I thank you for taking the time to give yours.
    No worries, Bogie. On an unrelated matter, I really think it is about time you got some kind of reward/award for your free mapping elements.

THW...am I

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

It was kinda hard to choose on this challenge. I decided to cast 2 votes, the first one for Chasio for her awesome panorama map with some stunning watercolor work, which reminds me some maps I love. The second vote went to Lingon and his very nice landshapes and color palette. Hopefully we'll be able to see both finished versions of those maps soon ! I also decided to cast a special extra vote to Domino44 for his constant improvment and for participating on every challenge.
    Seeing the number and quality of entries on this challenge, making it an annual event (or some similar teaming challenge) could indeed be a good idea.
    Since there was already a lot of votes and rep, I would also thank all the people for it ! Time to spread rep if I'm able to do it ! Great job everyone !

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Congratutalions to both winners!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Congratutalions to both winners!
    I think we still have some days to vote.

It was really difficult this time with so many great entries; I went for Xpian for his highly original Valles Marineris map and Domino44's Kingdom of Värda, which has a nice authentic looking vibe.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

@Sapiento - Thanks very much. It was a lot of hard work, and I learned things both to do and not to do next time around. I still plan to finish it up and when I do I'll post it, of course.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast