Thread: Port City Map Request

Guild Novice

Post Port City Map Request

Hello there!
    I was wondering if any of you wonderful cartographers would be willing to make a map of a port city for use in a D&D campaign. The city is called Pyrus. The city is in temperate flatlands with a vast human majority, with no clear minorities. It gets very little land traffic. Its government is that of a merchant republic similar to that of medieval Venice.

Here is a (very) rough sketch of how I picture the city. It isn't really set to a scale, and the shape of the buildings already included is just a placeholder to show their location to any of you who may intend to draw it.

If the attachment doesn;t work the link is below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clvcmahqcq...tated.jpg?dl=0

I - Port District Contains various docks, warehouses, and some inns and taverns.

II - Noble District Contains the mansions of the 10 patrician houses, the council chambers of the city council, a castle for the Patrician Guards, and upper class housing.

III - West Road Contains a stable, a handful of ruined lookout towers (due to the occasional hobgoblin raid), and several guard tents.

IV - North Road Contains a stable.

V - East Road Contains a stable

VI - Outer District Contains lower class housing and inns (more so closer to the gates) as well as some general stores near the gates

VII - Trading District Contains middle class housing, many shops and stalls, as well as posh inns for merchants

VIII - Spice District Contains spice refineries (I'm not entirely sure what these should be called), as well as low and middle class housing for the workers

IX - Temple District Contains the Great Temple of the Phaerimm, the Clergy of Asmodeus, the Clergy of Pelor, and housing for the temple staff and priests.

X - East District Contains middle class housing

Naturally there is a range of various shops and other commodities in the housing districts.

Below is the specified buildings with the district they're in in brackets (in case their location isn't clear in the image)

i (I) - Harbour Master's Office
    ii (I) - Fort Pyrus
    iii (I) - Shipping Guild
    iv (VII) Merchants' Guild
    v (I) Cartographers' Guild
    vi (VII) Great Exhange

Thank you for enduring that.

Style

I'm fine with any style, but preferably one similar to http://www.fantasticmaps.com/wp-cont...unlabelled.jpg

Quality & Size

Any size is will suffice (just not obscenely large/small, of course), as well as any quality (but preferably as good as you believe you can do, if it's no bother). The map will most probably only appear on an online tabletop such as Roll20.

Time Constraints

I have no real time constraint. ASAP if possible, but you no doubt have your own life and possibly other paid commissions to do, so feel free to take as long as you need.

Copyright

I would like reproduction rights to the map

Contact Details

jjsfw(at)hotmail(dot)com

Many thanks,

Shadire
    Last edited by shadire; 11-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Banned User

Hi Shadire, I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but a map of the size, complexity, and quality you are asking for is usually paid quite well. Don't be too disappointed if no one jumps up to do this

Guild Novice

Frankly I'd be content with a simple blank and white map. Also, it turns out a friend of mine is rather adept with CD3 and will be giving me some lessons later this week . Out of curiosity, how much is quite well?

Hi Shadire,

I'm willing to give this a shot. I love making city maps, and I'm hoping to get a few commissions under my belt. I'd probably do it as a straightforward ink-on-paper map, rather than something done digitally.

Only thing I should mention: I will either do it very quickly, or quite slowly. Basically, I have a lot of other commitments at the moment, so I'd either try to smash through it in a hurry, or work on it over a long time.

If you're interested, let me know. If not, no worries and good luck.

Private message here at CG is probably the best method. Also, feel free to check out my gallery.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Novice

Hello TheHoarseWhisperer (I love your username!)

Any style you believe will do your work justice at any speed is quite fine by me. (I'm rather surprised to have gotten a response this quickly. ). Your map of Birdseye looks absolutely brilliant! Again, feel free to take as much time as you need, I have no real constraints. The commitments you took on earlier should take precedent. I am most certainly interested in seeing your development of Pyrus, I'm sure it will be absolutely spectacular regardless of how long/short you work on it for.

Right now I don't believe I've made enough posts to use CG's PM system, but I'll try and get that done soon.

Many thanks,
    Shadire

Alright, I'll try and start tonight, and put a WIP up in the city mapping forum soon. That's possibly the best place to follow progress, and also make suggestions, especially if you cannot yet PM (I'm also happy to give you my email address, but I think a CG thread is usually pretty effective). I've never really done a commission before, so I don't know how it's gonna work out.

To be honest, I think an unpaid large-scale request like this is usually unlikely to get any response, say nothing of one so quick. My only explanation is that the stars were probably in alignment.

Thanks for the Birdseye compliment, by the way.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer