Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me, man. It looks hand-drawn and not done on a CAD program and I like that, makes it look antique.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Not to be a nag, but any news on this? Eager to see your next update

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Sorry. I'm terrible at keeping things updated.

@Shadire: thanks. Not being a French speaker, I've never heard of Eau des collines before, but I checked itout when you mentioned it. Being compared with thaose wonderful illustrations is high praise indeed.

@Ascension: you're right, it isn't digitally drawn at all. Glad you like it.

@Tainotim: not a nag at all. It is always gratifying to have such interest in my work. By way of explanation for the long delays lately, I've decided not to put up an update until it is basically finished. The next update, therefore, may be the last one, but it isn't ready yet.

Out of interest, though, here's how close things now are (bold means it is finished, or nearly so):
    --Basic colouring
    --Advanced colouring
    --Basic shadows
    --Advanced shadows
    --Basic highlights (mostly)
    --Labels
    --Title box and border
    --Finishing touches (mostly)

I have a few things to get on with that are not map-related, but then I'll be getting back to work and trying to finish this off. I think your patience will be rewarded.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hi all,

Need to ask for some help, here.

I've just finished drawing the title box for Pyrus, but I don't know what would be a good font to use. Does anyone have any recommendations. I was thinking something a bit like this, but I'm open to all suggestions.

The text will simply say:
    A View of the Noble Republic of
    Pyrus
    as it stands in the present year 1456 of the Burning Age
    Mapped and surveyed by Giorgio di Canberra

Thanks,
    THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus title box and borders.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	70868  

Sadly typography isn't a strongpoint of mine and I'd probably go with a basic serif font. It might be worth looking for something similar to those letters in the boxes next to it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Those letters were 'drawn' by me, and, unfortunately, both my typography and my handwriting are not good enough for this (I can manage four letters if I take my time, but I wouldn't want to rely on that). Chick has sent me a nice font, that I will probably use, though.

THW

Why not the SPQR font? I think it's pretty close to what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Why not the SPQR font? I think it's pretty close to what you want.
    Thanks Ilanthar! SPQR Looks perfect!

THW

Guild Novice

Good day (or night) to you,

@THW You're update speed is perfectly satisfactory (although I believe mine for responding to your posts could use a bit of improvement). I'm not entirely certain what images you are referring to relative to Eau des collines (I have only ever read the novels, no graphic novels or other such mediums, the layout of the farm just reminded me of that in the book). The SPQR font/title box both seem like they fit the theme of the map very well (although, again, my artistic expertise is somewhat lacking, but they seem fitting to me). The header text should definitely work (I very much like the touch of the Italianization (?) of your name). I do most certainly believe that the patience of all people following your work will be rewarded.

Many thanks,
    Shadire
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

At last, I have the final update. Everything is finished now, but I am posting here rather than in the finished maps subforum (and sending Shadire his/her (?) copy), to ask for any final comments, critiques, and suggestions. Almost everything is still changeable; the only exception is the linework. I've also put two versions: one with the red glow around important buildings, and one without.

I'll post the official finished version sometime tomorrow, depending on if there's any extra work.

Cheers,
    THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 07 A.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	70967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 07 B.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	70968  

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast