Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

Great! A good background for a future great map! That's just making me want to work another city map...

Guild Novice

One thing that I forgot to add in the previous entry is that the Burning Age started in 1823 DA, immediately the Gorthrokin Invasion

The most important great person who ever lived in Pyrus would definitely be Pasha Erdem (a halfling from Misthaven (the main halfling town in the world)). He highly refined the process of refining and preserving spices, and thus is one of the pillars of Pyrus' economy. He first moved to Pyrus in 227 DA and was assassinated away in 265 DA by an unknown assailant.

Other important figures are:

Archpriest Aydin I - The first Archpriest of the Great Temple of the Phaerimm and a native of Chalus. He lived during the time of the Great Conversion.

Gerino Parano - A famous architect. He designed the new Clergy of Pelor. He lived most much of his life abroad due to the tensions between Pelor worshipers and Phaerimm worshipers.

Viviana Tufano (Finally, a female character!) - A famous painter during the Gorthrokin Invasion. She painted portraits of the nobility.

Ferit Gulpinar - A native of Chalus. He sculpted many of the statues and monuments of the Phaerimm (most of which are in the Great Temple). He lived during the Great Conversion.

Brother Tadeo D'Apolito - He was once the Archcleric of the Clergy of Asmodeus in Pyrus before being forced to flee the city during the Burning Famine, as he was suspected of contributing to the desertification (the cause was unknown at the time). He then founded the Abbey of Blood far west of Pyrus where he created various medicines/potions using spices native to Pyrus. His work was at first rejected by the Pyrians, but long after his death during the Scarlet Plague, it proved most useful.

Fazio Zisa - A descendant of Mirco Zisa, he delivered fierce rhetoric against the guild system and wrote many of the documents that would eventually cause Pyrus to become a merchant republic run by noble families. He died during the Scarlet Plague, but his work lived on.

Ciro Forcucci - A good friend of Fazio Zisa. He went to the other city-states in the world delivering speeches in favour of the noble republic. He was assassinated by the Assassins' Guild of Misthaven while staying in Misthaven.

Iacopo Viele - A wealthy Pyrian who was a powerful benefactor of the Shipping Guild, as well as being very popular among the poor. He organized several expeditions to try and find the sunken city of Marediath several years before the Gorthrokin Invasion. He died on one such expedition due to an outbreak of dysentery on the ship and his paranoia of divine magic. His expeditions never did succeed.

Elvia Bacino - She was a famed (infamous to guilds) Pyrian assassin who is suspected of founding the city's branch of the Assassins' Guild. She lived in the years before when the noble houses took power. It is suspected that her assassination of many important guild members is what caused the guild system to collapse. Because of this, she is regarded as a hero to both the people and the noble houses. Her employer is unknown.

If you need any other background information let me know and I shall happily provide

Many thanks,
    Shadire

P.S. There was a typo in my previous entry which listed Thamiar as Thamier. It has been corrected now.
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Perfect. I think that's plenty, Shadire.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Latest update.

This version shows:
    --docks district finished;
    --eastern stables finished;
    --eastern residential district mostly finished;
    --Arsenale and castle precinct ~1/2 finished (I forgot to erase the pencil lines, though, so it still looks a bit messy);
    --labels expanded, including monuments to people/events (these are likely to be constantly altered throughout the drawing).

Only other things to mention:
    --eastern residential district is inspired by Renaissance Florence architecture;
    --Castle of Pyrus partially inspired by the Alcazar of Segovia, Spain;
    --Arsenale is inspired by the Arsenale of Venice;
    --a few areas where my drawing has gotten a bit sloppy, but no need to point them out in detail.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticisms?

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 04 B.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	69676  

Looking Great THW!

Thanks Bogie.

THW

Guild Novice

Absolutely stunning work THW!
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

>BAM<

>BAM<

... that's the sound of you nailing this, THW.

>BAM<

It's awesome even midway through.

Cheers jb and Shadire. 'nother update coming soon.

THW

First day of the new year, and here's another update. I haven't put much time into colouring this one, and the scan is bad quality. The main point, though, is that the drawing of the city is complete. Next up, the countryside, and then its the final stages.

Always keen to hear feedback and critiques. Especially interested to know what people think of the slums districts.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 05 C.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	69944  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast