Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

Default WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

This thread is for (yet another) WIP map of mine, the city of Pyrus, commissioned by CG-member Shadire. The request thread, with brief details, is located here. This is my first commission (not including my entry in the Oct./Nov. 2014 challenge), so I'm new to that side of mapmaking.

I've posted my initial sketches and the start of the map below. Feedback is always appreciated.

I chose to draw it on an A3 sheet of paper, which I think was a good decision, because it allows me to do more detail and make it look better. The downside, however, which is already apparent in the below image, is that it is much harder to scan, and I will have to stitch together two separate images to make the final.

THW

PS: Shadire, if you have any comments, questions, suggestions etc., or if I have any for you, I'll ask/answer them in this thread. Seems easier to keep information together that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 01 C.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	69268  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Journeyer

Great Start!

Guild Novice

Brilliant start THW! Did you get my PM reply? I'm not certain if it sent properly (it's not showing in my sent box).
    In case you didn't, it's absolutely fine if you make some changes to the map layout and such. A brief explanation of what the changes will be will be appreciated, but only a brief one is really needed. Going by your 'Tips for Worldbuilders', you're probably much better suited for laying out a city than I am . Sorry about being inactive for a tad, my Internet and electric have been down/rather hazy due to storms.

Many thanks,
    Shadire

EDIT: Also, I did receive your email
    Last edited by shadire; 11-26-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

@Shadire: I got your PM. At the moment, the changes I want to make are:
    --bring the Noble district up to the walls of the docks area. The reasons are partly artistic (it will give me more room to draw the nobles' houses, and remove a narrow corridor of hard to draw buildings) and partly to do with realistic urban layout patterns
    --add suburbs outside some gates. Suburbs were a very common feature of historic cities, and I think they would make the picture look more realistic, and dynamic. I won't add any to the West Road, because of what you say about raids.
    --I have also reduced the length of the sea walls, so they make a smaller enclosure around the port. I did that simply because I think it looks better.
    --lastly, the walled area to the west of the harbour master (from where I have written castle in my sketch to the outer town wall) looks to me like it might all be a military precinct (fortress, arsenale, barracks, etc.). I was therefore thinking of depicting that whole area as a kind of fortress. I'll include a handful of non-military buildings as well.

If any of those changes are problems, let me know. Otherwise, I'll assume it's fine.

Oh, and for the benefit of others viewing this thread, I'll provide Shadire's original sketch that this is going to be based off, and the legend that goes with it:

Original sketch

I: Port District: various docks, warehouses, and some inns and taverns
    i. Harbour Master's Office
    ii. Fort Pyrus
    iii. Shipping Guild
    v. Cartographers' Guild
    II: Noble District: the mansions of the 10 patrician houses, the council chambers of the city council, a castle for the Patrician Guards, and upper class housing
    III: West Road: a stable, a handful of ruined lookout towers (due to the occasional hobgoblin raid), and several guard tents
    IV & V: North Road and East Road: a stable each
    VI: Outer District: lower class housing and inns (more so closer to the gates) as well as some general stores near the gates
    VII: Trading District: middle class housing, many shops and stalls, as well as posh inns for merchants
    iv. Merchants' Guild
    vi. Great Exchange
    VIII: Spice District: spice refineries (I'm not entirely sure what these should be called), as well as low and middle class housing for the workers
    IX: Temple District: the Great Temple of the Phaerimm, the Clergy of Asmodeus, the Clergy of Pelor, and housing for the temple staff and priests
    X: East District: middle-class housing

I've also included the same picture as in my original post, but with some experiments with colour (no shadows/highlights, yet).

I think that's it for now. As usual, comments/suggestions are welcome.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 01 D.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	69305  

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I don't think scanning two parts and putting it together is a big issue if you have some PS knowledge. I tried it very roughly, it is possible with cities but a lot of work I guess. If you want to make it all by hand (at least the basics) try to go to a copy shop to scan it. I think it is worth the few bucks to get a good scan to continue with color or to make the final touches. Keep it up! =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus-01-C.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	620.7 KB 
ID:	69307
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-26-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Steffen. In the past I've just stitched together two pictures (actually, a good method is to scan four images and stitch them), but city maps, with all their details, probably need a better method. I may well use a copy place.

THW

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    --bring the Noble district up to the walls of the docks area. The reasons are partly artistic (it will give me more room to draw the nobles' houses, and remove a narrow corridor of hard to draw buildings) and partly to do with realistic urban layout patterns
    Aye, this was (sort of) in one of my early [extremely] rough sketches of Pyrus (except it stretched out into the middle of the city which seemed far too large for me). I like the idea of the Noble District by the docks, those patricians need to survey their merchant empires from the comfort of their own homes
    --add suburbs outside some gates. Suburbs were a very common feature of historic cities, and I think they would make the picture look more realistic, and dynamic. I won't add any to the West Road, because of what you say about raids.
    I very much like this idea (especially after your 'Tips for Worldbuilders' post), and definitely agree about the realism and dynamic feel.
    --I have also reduced the length of the sea walls, so they make a smaller enclosure around the port. I did that simply because I think it looks better.
    I do find that the more open port definitely looks much better than having a wall encircling most of it (I really wasn't sure of how big to make it in my sketch)
    --lastly, the walled area to the west of the harbour master (from where I have written castle in my sketch to the outer town wall) looks to me like it might all be a military precinct (fortress, arsenale, barracks, etc.). I was therefore thinking of depicting that whole area as a kind of fortress. I'll include a handful of non-military buildings as well.
    I think this will definitely open up some doors for some 'fun' for the adventurers in the campaign

Also, when I saw the coloured bit I just about died of excitement

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work!
    Shadire
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Another update. This shows the docks district about 1/2 -- 2/3 done. Still haven't added shadows/highlights, which I expect will transform the image, to some degree.

I realised, perhaps too late, that I wasn't drawing buildings that resemble particularly the warehouses/taverns that Shadire said were present in that district, but rather generic Italian-style houses. Shadire, when you see this, I hope you won't mind too much. Unfortunately, my approach to mapmaking leaves only a narrow window of time for alterations, between the original sketches and inking it in. Here, the ink is down, so changing things would be difficult. That said, I am quite certain that warehouses were a rarity in medieval times--most people tended to have basements or storerooms attached to their shops/houses; true warehouses were more often the property of aristocratics/royalty/large companies. Anyway, apologies if this is a problem.

To all guilders, please feel free to drop off a comment/suggestion/critique, as per usual.

THW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 02 B.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	69354

Oh THW, this looks beautiful already. Makes me want to get started on another city map right away. Very, very inspirational. The shape of the "keep" or tower where the stone wall overlaps into the wooden water-wall look splendid. And I love the little boats

Waiting patiently for the next update!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

I agree with Tainotim! It's very promising

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast