Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a continent in GIMP

Tutorial Making a continent in GIMP

I made this tutorial while figuring out how to make a GIMP version of ascensions Making a continent in photoshop tutorial. Some parts may be a little confusing, but I tried to make it fairly understandable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continentfinished.png 
Views:	476 
Size:	744.8 KB 
ID:	5807  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Im trying to figure out how to create a volcano. Im getting a pretty good result with my tries, and so far for my volcanoes they look something like this:

Name:	VOLCANO!!.png 
Views:	718 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	5816  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin mighty fine there. I can only comment on the results as I am not a GIMP pro, but I'd say that this is pretty true to the way I had done mine so... excellent job so far. The volcano might need a lil tweaking still but otherwise it's all good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Lookin mighty fine there. I can only comment on the results as I am not a GIMP pro, but I'd say that this is pretty true to the way I had done mine so... excellent job so far. The volcano might need a lil tweaking still but otherwise it's all good.

Thanks

yea Im still working on the volcano, as it keeps looking wrong for some reason

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Someone did a "tutlet" a while back on doing volcanoes, don't have time to look for it now. But it may be of some use, even though I believe it was created for GIMP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Someone did a "tutlet" a while back on doing volcanoes, don't have time to look for it now. But it may be of some use, even though I believe it was created for GIMP.
    i know that ascension did one, which i looked at, and helped me figure out some stuff, but the rest i have to figure out myself unless i can find the tutlet your referring to

Tutorial Volcano Tutlet

Okay figured out how to make a pretty good volcano

Name:	volcano.png 
Views:	1012 
Size:	760.2 KB 
ID:	5825  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

I know we go on about rivers not branching but they do when the sediment is very high. Well the same happens with volcanoes since the liquid is like sediment in that once it cools it prevents the flow from continuing and the flow moves left or right like a river snakes across flat lands. Except with water, generally all of it moves in the same direction but if the lava is thick then it divides around obstacles.

I have a movie here which I did. You will have to ignore the big spike in the middle which is a shoot of lava erupting. This is because I was running the sim with a lot of lava so as to speed up the calculations.

Some lava is thinner than others depending on heat and its makeup. Its the thicker stuff that moves around more. So I believe that lava flows generally do fork but I haven't done a lot of background on it and by no means an expert.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast