Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No idea

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip No idea

Hey gang, been a long time. When my hard drive literally melted a few years back (August 2010 I think) I was sorely put out since I lost everything. I haven't bothered to recoup all the patterns, textures, styles, and whatnot... there's no way I could possibly find all of that stuff. I started this map last year just to keep in practice and rekindle the fire then my drawing tablet conked out and I threw up my hands and gave up altogether. I bought a new drawing tablet a few days ago and managed to finish this much. It shows a little bit of how I go about thinking up kingdoms and stuff and how that influences the story behind the map and the names of places. I plan out a religious system and governmental structure and then add in some ubiquitous animals and monsters that run amok in the countryside plus an undead for spice. The text isn't always legible but I use the fonts as a key to help my mindset since I stare at a map for days on end. If this were a production piece I'd make sure that I chose a readable font or two. I could put all the rest of the stuff on there (borders, rose, scale, frippery, etc.) but I haven't decided if I want to do that or start something new. We'll see. As for being a CL and being active that's also unknown at this time. I want to get back into the swing of things here so all I can say is that I will try.

~A~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new map 2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	69325  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hey Ascension, good to see you again
    Sorry to hear about your computer crash...that's always very frustrating!

As to your map: I really dig it and want to see and know more about it! Tell us about the world!
    This map really makes me want to take out my pencils and dice and set up a game (i know i say this from now and then but it just shows how many very good maps are presented on here).
    I really hope you find back into the swing of things and that you will show us with what you come up with.

Best,
    E.

P.S.: Do you know where the Like-Button (it was in the lower right-hand corner of a post) disappeared to? (if whe have our chief Admin at hand we have to use it )
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

Were both CL's -> Community Leaders where we have the ability to mod the forum with blocking and unblocking of posts and spam deletion but neither of us or any of the CL's that are less than Admins can change the boards look and feel or fix PHP / bulletin software issues. You should be able to see a list of the CL's and Admins under the (quick Links / View Site Leaders) tab at the top.

Good to see you around again Ascension. An external USB hard drive is not all that expensive when compared to the effort involved with your maps and data in general. Just keep the lead disconnected to it until you want to make a backup and plug it in once a week or so and run a little script.

On a windows machine just create a BAT file and pop this into it:

xcopy C:\*.* X:\ /K /O /X /E /Y /D /C /R /F /H

Where C is your main drive and X is your external drive - change the letter to whatever it comes up as. Then you can create a shortcut to that on the desktop. Then plug in drive, double click the icon and your all backed up again.

I have seen so many posts here about people losing hard drives and all their data.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Ascension, by god you're back.
    I was wondering when you'd come back - it's nice to see you finally back in the gears!
    The map looks great, I especially like your little towns.

Hey Red, I have no idea how to do any of that. I'm not technologically inclined, hence the melt-down. I have flash drives but they're all full of blueprints and ideas for my new house. Thanks to my time here at The Guild I was able to mock-up some pretty decent plans that the architect didn't have to alter much. There's all sorts of numbers on there that I have no idea what they mean but my lines are all intact, which is nice. For me, all I need now is one hard round 5-pixel brush and a tablet to do all of my mapping. So much easier.

~A~
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Wow, already a great map if you ask me. Full of details here

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks great indeed, I always like those detailed maps. I though agree that you could pick up better fonts for it and i would rework the territories borders that looks pixellated, which clashes with the hand-drawn work.

Oh yeah. I never paid that much attention to the borders. That's gotta go.

Awesome! Ascension is back. I'm so happy, this made my day.

I have to confess I for one have really missed you around here. Just yesterday I was looking over your posted maps and feeling sad that you had vanished. I was worried that something terrible like an accident had occurred or something because you just *poofed*.

I am excited to see some more awesomeness! This makes me happy.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hey Jax. Good to see ya bro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast