Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practicing

I like the colour swatch thing you do. Is that in case the editor forgets the colours you have been using or just for ease of switching?

Beautiful map, already. I can but agree with Xpian about the "burnt" shadows though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The moveable palette is for ease of use for myself. I like to use the same colors over and over on a map as much as possible otherwise it gets confusing and I forget which ones I used. 5 years from now I can go back and see what colors I used and that is helpful. Changing blend modes results in many other colors so I can use a dozen or so colors to begin with... Bob Ross style. Plus, I approach every map as a potential tutorial, for others and for myself. What works, what fails, what do I want to experiment with in the future, etc. In the desert here I used 3 colors: mostly light tan, a bit of rust, and a bit of medium brown and just changed the blend modes while painting. The forests are three colors: medium gray-green, darkish moss green, and white. The burn layer gave them a little extra yellow so I'll have to readjust when I dump that nasty layer... same with the mountains. The oceans are three colors: light robin's egg, medium peacock, darkish gray-blue.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Practicing one a new map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	69911  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I decided to go back and finish the previous map before I get too far into this new one. Ugh Labels. This one is about done; putting the last bits down.

Name:	new map 4b.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	69954  

This is the other map in progress. Both are just practice maps so I probably won't finish either.

Name:	new map 5a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	69956  

Great Maps. Of the 2, I like the first one (post 25) the best. Very unique mountains and forests.
    On the second one, I'm not a fan of the black outline of the forests.

It's actually a dark brown. I could lighten it a little I suppose but if it's good enough for the pros then it's good enough for me. I can't remove it as some people think it results in a "floating clouds" effect (as in the first map) and I can't make it green as that looks even sillier. Sooo... dark brown it is. Maybe a tad lighter.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That first one (#25) is glorious.

Thanks, D. Ya know... I could make the outline skinnier. I've always had a heavy hand so I gotta work on a lighter touch.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast