Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mapping a Border-Castle [WIP]

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Very nice, forge22! =) I'm blown away by the positive feedback here. I saw that you have used low-opacity wall-hatching, personally I'd use this pure black. Personal preference I guess. Yeah, the furniture is always a chore, but it adds much to the overall believability of the map. I had a pattern for stones, grass, etc. too, but I always was refining this and it was more work erasing and getting it right rather than draw it completely new each time. For big forests I find myself re-using some pattern I made, but beside than not much.

Thanks so much for sharing your map based on this! =)
    Vielen Dank! [without the 'e' btw. and capital 'D']

Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Jeez, I could do 100 updates to fix the description so this will be the last one. I'm not 100% sure everything if this is 100% correct, but the German version I was going for is. Since the English version is a bonus anyway i'll leave it at that. =) Some small fixes here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grenzfeste_WIP12(Eng).jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	69737
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Nothing really sticks out to me except the trophy corridor which would be a gallery, long gallery or [adjective] gallery (such as marble gallery or... trophy gallery!)

Thanks for providing a translated version!

Forge22: I really like the way your interpretation turned out too though I'm not sure if I prefer the lower opacity hatching or the solid black hatching. I actually like adding all the little details such as the furniture - I find it fun.

Looks beautiful! Thanks so much!

--Eric

There were some really good threads created of people who wanted to try working this way. I already mentioned:
    This is insane! I'm blown away by the feedback and all the love this style suddenly gets and what this thread sparked. Thanks so much guys, you are awesome! =)
    Well... would you guys be interested in a downloadable tutorial-PDF with some more comments and thoughts or is this here enough? It wouldn't be a problem. It'll be my first tutorial I'd ever make and I'm not sure if it will be perfect, but I could give it a shot =)

Best wishes, keep being as inspiring as you all are,
    Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Novice

Great work! I love looking at old castle maps like this, real or imagined.

Hilded

Thanks, Hilded! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

I love the graphics, but wonder about the Font.
    It isn't a bad font, in fact it is quite pretty ... but it clearly looks like a lead typeset font on a map with such an amazing 'hand-drawn' style.
    Perhaps a more 'calligraphic pen' type of font would match the graphics more perfectly.
    (not a flowery script, just something with less mechanical serifs)

Atpollard, you are probably right. In hindsight I would use another font, thank you very much for pointing this out and making me rethink this =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234