Thread: September Entry: The Weathered Coast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip September Entry: The Weathered Coast

Greetings and salutations,

This is my entry for the September challenge. I used Gimp and it took bout 4 hours. Comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	challenge2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	6382  

Blog Entries

Hi grtlarry, good to see some more new blood taking part. I have just added you to the list of thumbnails for this month.

The mountains are the weakest element in this map, they don't look very natural. Perhaps tweaking color and contrast would remedy this. The hills by the right edge of the map look much better, even though they're apparently done using same technique. Also, the coastline could use a bit of softening.

Thank you for the feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    The mountains are the weakest element in this map, they don't look very natural. Perhaps tweaking color and contrast would remedy this. The hills by the right edge of the map look much better, even though they're apparently done using same technique. Also, the coastline could use a bit of softening.

Interesting to see where this goes.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

There are some good bones to this one, but I think it feels a bit un-finished. I hope you were able to add some more time to it and refine a bit.
    Something witty and pithy

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    There are some good bones to this one, but I think it feels a bit un-finished. I hope you were able to add some more time to it and refine a bit.
    Hey, thank you for the feed back (these are sincere comments). Is it the mountains like the previous posted pointed out or is it something else. Could you be more specific.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

I think the texturing for the mountain areas seems a bit non-descript. Since you are going with a more stylized instead of photo-realistic map, I think a more stylized jaggedy mountain texture would work. or even a darker mountain color would also help. Again, I think the bones are good. Just push different elements this way and that and see what works. Play with it.
    Something witty and pithy