Thread: +700 Galactic Map

Wip +700 Galactic Map

Hey all, coming here I finally decided to make a map of my sci-fi universe, +700, with this being my first ever serious map of anything. There isn't a lot right now, and I'm notably missing a legend, but hopefully it's enough to display. I'm trying to gun for a clean style, one that is more legible than stylised. I want to see how that's going.

Since my internet's a bit slow I'll just post the dropbox link instead of attaching a whole new file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0%20Galaxy.png

Of course, credit goes to these two for inspiration.

Hey, glad to read that my galactic sectors inspired you ! And a recall that I should work the missing sectors...

Anyway, I think you have a very good start. I would just add a few more colors on your background (maybe some small nebulas?) or at least some more contrast. And maybe another geometric form for the stars of interest.
    Oh! And I really like your "exameters" and the way you indicate distances from the core.

I was going to say that you can actually upload a file from a website, but that PNG is too big to have been attached, anyway.

For future reference, though, when you click the "Add files" button, you get a small window with the "Choose File" button. The top line of that window says "Upload Files from your Computer | Website". If you click "Website" it will give you the option of putting in a URL, such as the Dropbox link, and the forum will upload the file from that URL.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

@Ilanthar Yeah, I was considering that, but then it would probably clash with when I put in nebulae as points of interest, as well as political regions to the two races in the known galaxy. Speaking of points of interest, what would you suggest for a different symbol? I'm just using the symbol for "ruin" that most other maps use.

And thanks - You should have seen my face when I realised I put in 100,000 as the galaxy's radius instead of the proper 50,000. Had to recalculate the scale, which is why the divisions are so strange on the light year scale.

The galaxy also places heavy emphasis to use the metric scale (you can say "one thousand credits" or "one kilocredit") and the use of giga-, tera-, peta-, and exametres are no different.

@Midgardsormr Yep, I figured that, but it took too long to upload/was too big so I just gave up and linked the actual file instead.

By Kavaeric
    Speaking of points of interest, what would you suggest for a different symbol?
    Well, stars ? Or dots, and other geometric figures. I suppose that it depends of what you want to convey and how many different kind of places you want to indicate.

Hm, how about this, then?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtKPl.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	69674

I like the circle better, but it still depends of what you want to depict in the end (and it is of course your map!). My original point was about star systems, but you may want have something different in mind like indicating planets/space bases/wormholes/black holes/whatever else...
    I think the best is to go for some intuitive representation (hence my "use a star for indicate a star system"). I hope I'm of some help...

Ah, you are some help, don't worry. Though right now there isn't much to add - esp. planets, since the distances in space are huge (iirc one pixel on this map is around 20 light years)