Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sohu Peninsula

Map The Sohu Peninsula

This is my first map posted on the CG and was made as a campaign map for the DnD podcast I run with a few friends. It was created entirely in GIMP. My aim was to show the DM's concept for the mashy and desolate peninsular in a relatively realistic flavour.

This started as a WIP on this site link here: so thank you to those who provided feedback / advice!

I could not decide between the two versions I present; the second is notably more washed out in tone than the other.

All feedback is welcome!

***** EDIT *****

I know that it is bad form to change a map once it is released as 'finished' but I realised that I spelled 'Peninsula' wrong (I put an 'R' on the end).

I couldn't live with it so I have changed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the sohu 2.9.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	69719

Name:	the sohu 2.9S.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	69720
    Last edited by Formal Abu; 12-17-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: SPELLING ERROR ON MAP!

Banned User

"Washed out" can be a lay term for "Desaturated". Desaturated images are much easier to look at, especially when trying to read details, so you should give some thought to using more of it for maps.

Er yeah the second map is overlaid with a de-saturated version at 40% opacity. I enjoy quite vibrant colours, but appreciate not everyone does, hence the two versions. I hope you liked the second map.

Blog Entries

Maybe a hair dark and a bit over saturated
    but other than that
    NICE!
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I'm not fond of how you did the water and coastlines, but the all the rest is very well done. Good job!

What is it that you don't like about them? It will help me when making my next map. Glad you liked the rest of it!

Guild Artisan

Your coast line is not fractal what gives it a slightly unnatural too smooth look. But pethaps he meant something else.

Sorry, I should have explained it in my first post! I mean that the texture of the sea looks too "sharp" and computerized compared to the rest (A blur could change that, I guess, without changing those good colors). A bit the same for the coastline, it sometimes looks like a border/shadow, and sometimes almost disappear. Anyway, I like what you have for all the rest, it's a kind of "satellite view" very fresh and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Sorry, I should have explained it in my first post! I mean that the texture of the sea looks too "sharp" and computerized compared to the rest (A blur could change that, I guess, without changing those good colors). A bit the same for the coastline, it sometimes looks like a border/shadow, and sometimes almost disappear. Anyway, I like what you have for all the rest, it's a kind of "satellite view" very fresh and well done.
    Ah I see! Yeah having just learnt bump mapping I perhaps overdid it a bit on the sea Do you prefer the attached versions? I realised I misspelt 'Peninsula' as well so I have changed that as I just couldn't stand looking at it once I realised! Thanks for the helpful comment.

Name:	the sohu 2.9b.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	69717

Name:	the sohu 2.9Sb.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	69718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast