Thread: First "Proper" Photoshop Map

Wip First "Proper" Photoshop Map

http://www.imperialcross.co.uk/stuff/lilinothnew.jpg

This is the first map I've made in photoshop that hasn't involved following a tutorial. I've spent the past week or so doing lots of tutorials in order to get to grips with photoshop and I think it's starting to pay off a bit.

Anyway, there's lots of problems. The actual map design isn't the most geologically accurate, but that can't change at this point in time. This particular little nation has too much history now that I can't really retcon anything really. I did the original map for this nation about 7 years ago. =P

Also, no actual markings or anything at the moment. Still trying to get the land right.

I'm not happy with the mountains, but mountains are so difficult! Also, the sea and the outline didn't come out so well.
    The forests, I don't mind so much, though I used the texturizer (and a forest texture) to make them and gave them an outer glow. If anyone has suggestions on how to make them better, I'd appreciate it.

Comments welcome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I assume that the river violation is what you are referring as geologically incorrect.... let's hope RobA don't see it

Your mountains look good imo for the map itself.. it at least meshes well with the style of the map... but mountains are difficult... I finally got some that turned out decent using just the layer effects on my Khossus map http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2399 if you like those, i believe I have the style saved so you can reproduce it...

Great stuff so far... tutorials are paying off for you bigtime

Call the river police!!!! Major infraction!!!. Still, if you have something that explains it, then anything is possible. Just say that it was something that the God's did or some such thing.

I like the texture of the mountains, but they look like they sink into the land rather than rise up. I am not sure how to tell you to fix that, but you might try to use some shadows or something.

I like the colors of the map. The rivers and woodlands look great. Other than those two things that I mentioned, I really love this map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me, except the river, so here's what the infraction is: that one river snakes up, turns right, connects to another river, then turns south. How to fix: cut the river off and instead of having it turn right, keep it going up towards the mountains and then put in a couple of forks up near them thar hills. That one lil thing will get an A+
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Delgo, the river is a little disconcerting, but the mountains are very good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I appreciate everyones advice, though with regards to the river, it's unchangable at this point unfortunately. It's become involved in too many stories and whatnot, so I'm going to have to explain some features as manmade with lock gates or something if that will work.

Delgond:
    I'd appreciate any help you can give me with mountains. I'm desperately trying to find a method that is easy to reproduce but that looks good. Mountains (and rolling hills) are the most difficult things I'm come across, even when I was using PSP.

Already talked about: the rivers. Already talked about: cut the apart and redirect.

Otherwise, EXCELLENT! Cool graphics.

Only other point, make the forests look a little more puffier. Add some lighting effects to get more shading on the trees. Raise the beveling, or perhaps use a different brush?

Otherwise, still, Excellent!

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Good-looking map. It's very clear and the colours work well.
    A bit of criticism, though: To me, the mountains appear to be "drooping" instead of rising; they look like muddy pits instead of hills. I'm not sure how you would go about correcting this (and it very well just be me), but I think there is room to improve the mountains somehow.