Thread: Wild West Map for Puzzle Contest

Default Wild West Map for Puzzle Contest

Introduction/Background
    Hey everyone. I am the creator of the University of South Carolina Puzzle Hunt, an annual contest where teams from both USC and elsewhere work together to solve various puzzles that eventually end with finding an object on campus. This contest was inspired by the MIT Mystery Hunt, which has been running for over 30 years. For the last three years, I have been designing the graphics and such for the hunt, but this year I need a map. I stumbled upon this site after searching online for who could commission it, and I certainly think this is the place to ask.

Design Concept
    I'm looking for someone who would be able to design a map that would look like a map of a cowboy town. A map from the Wild West. As the creator of the map, you will have a lot of creative license with the map. The only things that will really be set about the map are (A) a river that runs from north to south along the eastern side of the map and (B) the positions of some of the landmarks of the town, as they relate to a puzzle.

The fictional town is set during the 1860s-1880s. The map will feature traditional Wild West buildings/features like a train station, a church, a saloon, a jail, a windmill, etc. The landmarks will have the name of the landmark next to it. Again, you will have almost all creative license to put certain buildings where you want. If you take on the commission, we'll talk about the certain details about the map that must be done, but for most everything else, it'd be yours to create.

Technical
    PNG file should do, and probably at least 1000x750, but we can discuss that. You probably know more than I do. The map will be posted on a webpage, and if we need to decrease the size, we can put the original size as a link.

Copyright
    Remains with cartographer.
    The maps will not be published or reproduced for commercial gain by me. It'll stay on the webpage.

Deadline
    The map would need to be done by January 20th, as we plan to launch the contest around mid-February.

I work with the University to make this event run, and I may be able to send some payment your way, but realize this is not a money-making event, and this whole contest is basically pro bono by the writers. I will gladly post a link to your own website/deviantart page on the website and list you in the credits for making the contest happen.

Contact
    Email me at uscpuzzlehunt--at--gmail.com, and if you want to work on the project, I can give you more details about some of the specific details about the map.

=====

I'll post on this thread when the requests are closed. Again, you as the cartographer will have almost all the creative license to make the town for the contest. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of you can create.

Thanks everyone!
    Chris
    Last edited by uscpuzzle; 12-21-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Blog Entries

like a map of a cowboy town.
    that could be a long time span
    1700's ( 1776 ) to 1930's

so the look and feel could be anything from the colonial days to the first automotive road maps
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I'm looking more at a 1860-1880s feel. You know, the Bonanza/Gunsmoke/Little House era. I'll edit the original post to include this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_24_14_USC_WildWest.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	69862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_22_14_WildWestBlocking-01.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	69861

Chris I've sent you an initial sketch for your review. A blocking diagram of all destinations. Second attachment is initial buildings and some background treatments
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12_22_14_WildWestBlocking.pdf  
    Last edited by snodsy; 12-27-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added image

Additional map elements for Wild West puzzle any comments welcome.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_27_14_WildIllustrate.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	69863

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_28_14_WildWestFinal-01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	69998Here is the final map for the Wild West Puzzle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_28_14_WildWestFinal-01.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	69899
    Last edited by snodsy; 01-04-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Chris; I've fixed the two islands missing from the previous final map

Guild Journeyer

Nice looking map.